New member, and possible AT buyer

omnivore

Hello all. I have ad my eye on a 92 black celica AT for a couple yrs now. It has all options that I can see. It is black with all power grey leather interior. I dunno if it has the optional LSD rear diff though.The owner didn't want to sell it a couple yrs ago when I 1st inquired, but has now decided that he can't afford to insure 3 cars, and this Celica just sits. It needs a battery and mass air unit to run, but I am sure it needs alot more to be driveable routinely, like tires brakes and more. It ran with no MAF hooked up, with just a hand over the intake to modulate air, but stalled as soon as MAF was re-installed.
It does have some rust bubbles on rear wheelwell lip and some rust underneath, but I haven't laid under it too far to see the rest. It comes with an aftermarket air dam with 2 large Subaru style foglights in it. Orig air dam in included.
It has a Momo steering wheel, and orig is incl as well. Turbo was rebuilt last year.

Now I am not a newbie to turbo 4 cyl cars(as you can see in my sig), or turbocar msg boards for that matter. I am a little surprised afte lurking here for hours tonight, at the amount of $ that needs to be thrown at Celicas to make them go fast however. Even moreso that Talons/DSM's it seems.... I guess being AWD the parasitic losses are higher than I am used to with my last few project cars. I am hoping that I can run a high to low 12, and have a good handling, nice looking autocrossable sports car if I buy this Celica. Maybe a big FMIC, 3" exhaust, and 15-ish psi will be able to accomplish this on 4 drag radials? Maybe not. Any advice on what else to look for before buying this car? Or what it'll take to achieve the power levels I am hoping for?
I guess my goal is to replace my Omni with the Celica...but I want to replace it with a car that is at least as fast as the Omni. It is already obvios that the Celica is a nicer, more attractive, higher quality car than my Omni-no question. But I still refuse to backwards in all out acceleration ability.

BTW-best 1/4 mile time in Omni (on slicks) is thru stock turbo ( small T3 garret .42/.48 AR), and stock Dodge Daytona intercooler (quite small), at 17 psi. Motor is a 2.2, 8 valve, no porting no polishing no cam etc. Just extra boost (17 psi instead of stock 12 psi) and extra fuel (52 lb/hr injectors), 3 BAR map, computer programmed, and 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust . Car weighs 2550 lb with me in it.

How can I acheive this level or better of performance in a 92 AT, while retaining the AC.

maxaud

how much is the guy looking to get out of the All-trac?

any pictures? the way you describe the bumper, it kinda sounds like one of the bumpers that came on the JDM model GT-four, could be a possibility

maxaud

I'd say pick it up. That's pretty good for a '92 if the rust hasn't done much harm and you can fix the AFM problem.

omnivore

well looks like the seller isn't really intereseted in selling. It seems he has told his folks he is trying to sell it becuase they are on his ass to get it out of their driveway where it has been for 2 yrs, while he refuses to respond or reply to interested parties. This way he can tell them he can't seem to sell it, and continue to store it at his parent's place for free till he gets around to repairing it himself I suppose. Oh well. I will keep my eyes peeled for another.