newbie, beaten up ST165 gave a SRT-4 a good run!

New members MUST post a new intro thread before they can access the rest of the forum.

newbie, beaten up ST165 gave a SRT-4 a good run!

Postby jpgmtech » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:42 am

well, I though I might sell this car after i started to figure how much work was needed just to keep it running, but after learning how to launch it and running it a bit i like the car more and more.

just played with an SRT-4 the other night, he had two people in the car, I was alone, so the weight was somewhat equalized. (still about 200 lbs difference i think...) My car is stock other than a hacked air filter that I have yet to fix. Lots of problems, IC pump does not work, code 54 keeps coming up, pings alot under full boost. (with premium)

I annoyed him enough that he wanted to race, which was good. I wasn't interested in doing stupid speeds in town though, so I let him off easy on the top end. I heard him pre-spool, at about 3000-3500 rpm. I wound mine up to 3500rpm, did a heel-toe brake/throttle and clutch dance that I finally figured out, and launched perfectly. sucked him hard out of the hole, and got a car-length on him. He started to pull on me a little by about 70k/hr and I knew he would get the better of me, so I let off. But the old faded-red rusty toyota surprised him quite well. And it encouraged me to start working on this thing.

The technology in these cars (mine is a 1988) is very impressive, along with the features. (ABS, power everything, leather, only option it doesn't have is the sunroof, and I prefer that on an old car. No leaks!) And it is the first small car that my 6'2" frame fits perfectly in... Not to mention it is a blast to drive.

I've already been browsing tech forums here, some good info here, has already helped me to repair a couple of issues. I am an automotive tech by trade, with specialties in diesel, engine management, body systems and have done several diesel performance projects on all the Duramax engines. (Fastest project so far is a 6" lifted 7200lb 4wd crew cab shortbox, runs 13.6 on the quarter, no juice or propane, stock injectors and fuel system) I work at a GM dealer, but this toyota is always impressing me.

If I have any questions, I know where to look... 8)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Attachments
Toy 3a.jpg
this is the view from many more SRT-4's.... in the future... hopefully...
(91.97 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Toy 2a.jpg
my niece really wants this car...
(85.06 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Toy 1a.jpg
my wife checking it out, she didn't like the car at first, but fell in love with it once she drove it...
(95.21 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by jpgmtech on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbos rule, period... Turbos with AWD, ultimate...
jpgmtech

Postby nfn15037 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:43 pm

Why are you racing people with the IC pump broken? The motor is going to blow a headgasket at the very least. That is if you haven't already broken a ringland.
nfn15037
Club Member

Postby jpgmtech » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:34 pm

Yeah, it does ping somewhat (seems a bit dependant on atmospheric conditions/humidity etc), and I tend to go easy on it normally. This is the first race that I ran...

Thanks for the tip...
jpgmtech

Postby edv-tek » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:02 am

A code 54 is enough to send the car into limp mode. The car was not running at it's fullest. Also the other srt4 driver must have been lame if you were in limp mode.
Ed Vaughan
White Supercharged Previa LE Alltrac w/beige leather 208K and counting
1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL 42K
Maryland
edv-tek
Club Member

Postby Mafix » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:01 am

OMG!!! pinging?!?!?!?? have you lost your marbles...
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby TheAutoholic » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:30 am

le sigh
Currently All Trac-less....

Dracov wrote:I'm firmly convinced GT-Four trannies are made from collapsed stars.
TheAutoholic
Club Member

Postby jpgmtech » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:32 pm

edv-tek wrote:A code 54 is enough to send the car into limp mode. The car was not running at it's fullest. Also the other srt4 driver must have been lame if you were in limp mode.

The Celica was running typical boost numbers (using stock gauge) for 1st and 2nd gear. As far as the Neon driver... well I found out how lame of a driver he is... that or he put all the SRT-4 body trimmings (hood, badges, etc) on a normal neon. He had a dial-in of 16.75 on his windshield after a local bracket race... This guy can't drive!!!! No wonder the celica on a bad day would take him...
jpgmtech

Postby Sifu » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:22 pm

Welcome to the board.

NOW GO FAB US SOME PARTS! :evil:
J/K...
1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God