Boost controller options?

sims

I'm pretty aware of what options are out their, but very undecided on what route to take.

I want something that's adjustable from the cabin, and having to different boost settings would be nice. I've found a couple options that look good but I Don't know anyone who has tried them and so again I look to you guys for opinions :)

As far as manual controlers:

this
http://www.boostcontroller.com/inde...stcontroller.com/index.php?page=1&category=97

or

this
http://www.boostcontroller.com/inde...stcontroller.com/index.php?page=1&category=97

the price difference is marginal, but I like the idea of the single stage that is switchable back to the stock setting based on the wastegate, this way if I run into any boost issues I can flip the switch and not to have worry about it until I can diagnose it later. Turbo XS has a very similar dual stage product but its a fair bit more money.

on the electric side:

There's always the profec B which is tried and tested, to be honest I don't know that I need an electrical boost controller, a few years down the road from now I'll be going with an JFO stand alone system that has a build in boost controller. until that happens I'll be running a fairly simple setup, 300WHP with a small turbo upgrade are my shot turn goals before I go stand alone and can safely start going crazy :)

I did however stumble upon this :
http://www.boostcontroller.com/inde...tcontroller.com/index.php?page=1&category=155

the price is definitely right, especially considering it will serve as a boost gauge aswell. AEM has a pretty solid reputation but this is the first i've seen of this product, has anyone used it? it has peaked my interests to say the least.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated :)

Sleeka_89

honestly you would probably be happy with a single stage if your gonna end up with a built in EBC later on the track.
I have a a turbosmart dual stage in my car, same concept as the single stage but when i flick the swith down to go to stock boost, that my low boost setting which i have abit abov stock. 12psi is alot more fun then 8psi on low and when i really want fun i flick to high which is 17psi.
On the other hand an EBC has the ability to change the spool up time of the turbo, which can make a big difference in down low performance. They also have better control in handling boost at higher levels and dont have the tendancy to spike (although mine doesnt spike at all)
IMHO go the single stage and put that saved money into the standalone :smokes:

gt4tified

You didn't post any details of your current engine specs, only where you wanted to go. If you're on stock fuel, turbo and no fuel cut device installed, a single stage manual controller will do just fine.

If you've done some fuel work (eg bored rail, upgraded injectors) and installed a FCD and maybe you've got a ct27 or ct20b, then I say an EBC would be more fun and economical.

sims

before I go stand alone and start pulling the engine apart and build the motor I'm looking to simply do a 3' turboback, TMIC, FCD, up the boost to 15 PSI or so and I am considering a small turbo upgrade like a CT27 and an upgraded clutch. upgraded injectors may be a possibility as-well.

what advantage would an EBC give me over a manual in this situation?

affordabiliy isn't a huge issue, but of course any money saved means i'm that much closer to my future goals.

Sleeka_89

just greater control as a whole over boost. Manual controllers can spike for example i know of a couple of guys with cheap bleed valves that they might have set at 15psi, but when they first come onto boost it might start at 17-18psi then drop down to 15psi and hold it for the rest of the rev range. I should note though i dont have this problem with mine and i have a dual stage which works the same as a traditional bleed valve.
If spending an extra 150-200 bucks on a ebc doesnt bother you i would say go an ebc that way your guarnteed control and you can adjust the gain(how quickly the boost comes on). At the end of the day you can always sell the ebc once you get the standalone

gt4tified

sims":bavnwom9 said:
before I go stand alone and start pulling the engine apart and build the motor I'm looking to simply do a 3' turboback, TMIC, FCD, up the boost to 15 PSI or so and I am considering a small turbo upgrade like a CT27 and an upgraded clutch. upgraded injectors may be a possibility as-well.

what advantage would an EBC give me over a manual in this situation?

affordabiliy isn't a huge issue, but of course any money saved means i'm that much closer to my future goals.

Just something on your rebuild....upgrading to bigger injectors won't do much for your boost by themselves....you'll need to get the fuel rail modded or purchase an aftermarket rail. You would also need to increase the fuel pressure....meaning, you ought to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I would think that with proper tuning, good fuel system and a good clutch, you'd do 15psi no problem on the stock ct26.