sorry for

88alltracohio

being such a noob, but my 3S-GTE has 152,xxx miles and i believe all the owners have used conventional oil, would switching to synthetic be bad, im sure all the seals are probably messed up and thinking synthetic would almost drip right through, but im not sure, should i just stick with the normal.

Gary

Do you currently have any leak?
If you are not sure and don't wanna take a risk, stick with the dino oil and change it often.

CassMori

Gary":3gp5s9ze said:
Do you currently have any leak?
If you are not sure and don't wanna take a risk, stick with the dino oil and change it often.

+1

nearly any older/higher mileage engine will leak from the seals/gaskets when switched to synthetic, at least a little. It's not so much the seals being bad, just old/stiff and having sludge deposits, etc. on them. The synthetic will clean all that gunk out, causing the leaks. Valve/cam cover gaskets & oil pan gaskets are easy to change, but the biggest worry may be the front and rear main seals, which are usually rather involved to change out. Since I'm new here too, I'm not sure how the 3sgte seals react ;). In your case, you should probably stick with a good conventional oil, and change it regularly as Gary recommended.