how much power is possible?

A

Anonymous

got myself a white 88 alltrac a month ago, 116k mi got it for $3000! very straight body no rust, needs new leather..... im no mechanic, but the motor looks like it has been REAL hot before! however, it runs very smooth, and i've already smoked a few hondas. but the tranny grinds when i shift hard from 2nd to 3rd, and i dont hear the bov when im neutral and rev it to 7k rpm! no worries though i plan to replace with imported motor, and restore exterior/interior.... i plan to rebuild stock motor and put back in when im done playing, then store it forever!

my question is how much power are these engines/drive-trains capable of? do i need to mod the AWD system at any point? and at how many dollars do i reach the point of diminished returns?.... the goal is a "no-joke" type setup, but im not sure if i want to drop $10,000+ (professionally installed) on just the motor.... i know all about 'go big or go home', 'you gotta pay to play', yatta-yatta..... just curious what im getting into, and how far i want to take it.

thanks in advance for any help......

SuperWhite92

The transmission should be fine for any power you throw at it, aside from the clutch and flywheel. The only thing you have to worry about it synchro wear, and it sounds like you're already suffering from that.

As far as power, there's some relatively proven paths to 400-500 horsepower, but there's some people making near 1000 with a 3SGTE base. Basically, it comes down to how far you want to go. At some point, it starts to cost a ton to get any more power. In reality, I think MR2OC is the place to research the big power department, since they share our engine. Please keep in mind though, that you'd want to start with a 2nd gen engine, as opposed to the 1st gen you have. There's enough differences in the head to make it worthwhile, not to mention an abhorrent lack of aftermarket for the gen 1.

theUNYTEDone

sounds like a great find, man...
i guess im able to address a few things.

-stock engine and bottom end has been rumored to hold 400hp. not safely, though.
-at around 300hp, youll need to upgrade your fuel system i.e. bgger pump/injectors
-ignition should be utilized when getting into 350+hp
-clutch/trans/diff should be upgraded accordingly.

hope ive actually given some useful info for once.

A

Anonymous

ok thanks! 400-500HP would really be awesome for what i want to do. street driving mainly, but there are lots of dirt/gravel roads around this town that i might fool around on..... now i guess i need to look into what it takes to get that amount of power from a 2nd gen engine.... i really dont want to spend more than $6-8k on the motor, is that enough to do it?

also, if i were to keep a 2nd gen engine in the car, will it reduce its resale value in the future? or should i put the rebuilt 1st gen back in it?

thanks again!

2RM

If you want to fool around on dirt/gravel roads with a 400-500hp car you will also need a set of Brass Balls. It is a highly recomended mod. :wink:

cardude

on this board a 2nd gen swap might increase resale. outside of this board any mods at all are likely to decrease resale. IMO

maxaud

The car doesn't have a blow off valve stock so that's probably why you couldn't hear one. Like other people have said the 2nd gen 3sgte is usually better for power/mods, a 3rd gen 3sgte might be even better especially if you can get a WRC version. Nice find though, get pictures up. Also, what area are you located in?

theUNYTEDone

bigwes":3nwn2vzl said:
ok thanks! 400-500HP would really be awesome for what i want to do. street driving mainly, but there are lots of dirt/gravel roads around this town that i might fool around on..... now i guess i need to look into what it takes to get that amount of power from a 2nd gen engine.... i really dont want to spend more than $6-8k on the motor, is that enough to do it?

also, if i were to keep a 2nd gen engine in the car, will it reduce its resale value in the future? or should i put the rebuilt 1st gen back in it?

thanks again!

to put those numbers down at the wheels would actually take a lot...more than practical for the street. the 300 range is actually best from what ive been told. but from there, a safe tune on higher boost and higher octane fuel can yield those numbers...maybe for a track day. 8) [/b]

gpmarzan

theUNYTEDone":p4eeks6w said:
-at around 300hp, youll need to upgrade your fuel system i.e. bgger pump/injectors

I read/heard from numerous threads/people that the fuel system can handle up to around 300hp..flywheel hp that is. with the 20-25% loss, thats about 240-225hp to the wheels. Our cars run pig rich at wot, and i dont doubt that the stock fuel system can handle up to 300fhp.

maxaud

If I'm not mistaken the/some of the wrc 3sgte engines came with water injection and the thing that prespools the turbo (can't remember what it's call'd). I may be completely wrong and they are all the same. :shrug:

Meurz

Radiator waterspray indeed, but afaik no-one got the antilag :wink: to work.. For serious power it doesn't really matter imo.

maxaud

I thought that it actually had water injection, not radiator sprayers. too bad for the antilag.

syko says

Meurz":6pojs4t9 said:
Radiator waterspray indeed, but afaik no-one got the antilag :wink: to work.. For serious power it doesn't really matter imo.

what do you mean? is there a certain 'thing' one must do in order to get it to work? i mean toyota didnt put that thing on there just to be there :shrug: but yes, its a given that they are somewhat old. i no know :p