Solarinsocal gets 91 All Trac

solarinsocal

Hey all, finally picked up the All Trac from Montj. Picked it up in Sacramento and its new happy home is in Ontario, CA. It definately is an ugly duckling but I think I can do something about that.
:doh:

A couple of issues that I noticed on the drive back. My 07 Avalon is a whole hell of a lot quieter! :D

No really,
1. Sys 10 with aftermarket single din doesn't work- dead amp?
2. AC out but no blinking AC light- need charge?
3. Cruise Control not working, light turns on but will not engage, pulled CC code, two blinks-pause-two blinks- bad speed sensor, cable?
4. Miscellaneous bangs, booms, rattles coming from suspension especially front.
5. Vibration from drive train on accelerator lift off coast- bad driveshaft u-joint?

Anybody with similar problems and answers?
:twisted: :twisted:

WarTowels

I'm curious about the CC also, mine lights up also. Then sometimes it engages if I keep at it. Then for no apparent reason after a random period of time the CC will just shut off.

Prolly wiring...

-Towels

montj

WarTowels":qvb8e1n2 said:
I'm curious about the CC also, mine lights up also. Then sometimes it engages if I keep at it. Then for no apparent reason after a random period of time the CC will just shut off.

Prolly wiring...

-Towels

That is exactly what was happening with this car when I owned it. Sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

solarinsocal

Montj, I found out what that cable was that was chilling in the passenger foot well. There used to be a car mobile phone installed in the car. The control unit was installed under the drivers front seat. :|

Any reason why you had the car maxing out at eight psi?

maxaud

If I remember right, there was a factory option for a car phone though I thought it was only available for the '93 model year.

montj

solarinsocal":3a0xjsdt said:
Montj, I found out what that cable was that was chilling in the passenger foot well. There used to be a car mobile phone installed in the car. The control unit was installed under the drivers front seat. :|

Any reason why you had the car maxing out at eight psi?

I never would of guessed that about the cable.

ST185s run 7-11 psi stock, 8psi seems pretty safe too me. Definitely not maxed out.

When I had the JDM turbo installed, and the downpipe gutted, it was running 11psi; so I turned it down to be safe.

It hits fuel cut at 12psi. Bypassing the FCD and running at 14psi would be maxing out the stock setup IMO.

Check out this post about what other drivers have their boost set at: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19561

solarinsocal

Update, finally got the smog check taken care of. It tends to become a little bit harder without the primary cat in place. :doh:

The radio problem was fixed. It turns out that the amplifier in the radio went out, but it had pre-outs. I purchased the Metra 70-8110 but the harness itself was different so I pulled out all of the wires with the pins intact and inserted them into the original harness. So now I have full use of all of the components of the original system 10 including amplifier. :D Not bad sound for a speaker system that's going on 16 years of age. 8)

The suspension rattles were coming the front sway bar endlinks and the fact that the car was severely toed in. Clunks are gone which is a good thing because they were starting to drive me crazy. :twisted:

New problems I found:
1. torn outer cv boots both front
2. hesitation under full boost full throttle. The car surges, hesitates, surges, hesitates. Anybody have an idea about that one? Possible boost leak?

I took a friend of mine and went to Toyotafest at the Queen Mary, but it was disappointing in my book. One 185 and one 165 showed. Met some cool people from MR2OC though. Anybody else go?

solarinsocal

Update. Part of the surging was coming from the connector hose between the turbo and intercooler. Everything looked fine until you turn it over and it was damn near cracked in half. Didn't have time to go to the dealership so I made my way to Pep Boys and found a large rad hose that would fit. I don't know what the difference in the temperature ratings are but it's working fine for now. I can still feel some minor bogs when the car isn't warmed up completely. Any ideas?

I started pulling the big dent in the rocker panel, got it mostly out, now it's time for some bondo action. :D

lumbercis

I think the bucking is kind of normal when these cars arent warmed up. Jut don't boost until the car is fully warm. However, if it does it alot, you should check for other problems.

Also, check out the thread in the socal section about the fix it meets. May be a long drive for you, but if you had something that could use an extra set of hands, maybe we can help you out.

And you could teach us bondo!
:D

J.

solarinsocal

Hey, I don't know if I want you clowns anywhere near my engine! :shock: :shoots:

No, I do have a list of things to take care of. I think it all depends on when and where. Give me a heads up. I will be able to help out on others if need be.