noob turbo questions

pg

When i'm idling or not accelerating the turbo controller reads out -50cmHg
is that a normal number or is this a variable depending on mods o whatnot?

Also a super noob question:
Say im driving steady at 2.5k rpm with 0 boost, then i floor it, get some boost, as i reach 4k rpm and hold it there in the same gear...my boost suposed to go down to 0 at this point?

thnks

Balagast

1. I don't know about cm of Hg, but idle is suppose to be around 18-20 inHg, otherwise there is a boost/vacuum leak. I'd say that is about right doing the math in my head that is very close to 20 inHg.

2. So you floor it and come off the gas, is that what i am understanding. I would say that the boost should come back down. How far down depends. If you are going up a hill and there is a decent load on the engine, than you will probably still be making some boost, but if it is flat or downhill for example there won't be as much of a load on the engine, so the amount of boost will be less (or even fall down to 0).

I hope this helps a bit.

theUNYTEDone

my metric-standard conversion skills entirely failed me tonight. :doh:
iirc, an inch is about 4.2cm...therefore, i think it'd be safe to say that your vac reading is pretty off.

however, as far as your second question goes, i would imagine that your boost would find 0 after a while. However, this also largely depends on the amount of load that your engine is experiencing.

Dracov

Actually, an inch is 2.54cm ;) Thus 18-20 inHg would be ~46-51cmHg, so I'd say it's measuring fairly normal.

theUNYTEDone

Dracov":2lprnrap said:
Actually, an inch is 2.54cm ;) Thus 18-20 inHg would be ~46-51cmHg, so I'd say it's measuring fairly normal.

hah. thanks. i KNEW i was right (about my conversions)
kinda just had the cm's backwards... :doh:

i remember now because i had a bio teacher back in highschool tell us "when the girls make fun of your one-inch penis, tell them 'its not one inch, its 2.54cm!!!"

:p