mustang guy that just got an all trac

hookandpull

I just got a mint little 88 all trac, and It is leaking oil like a siv. So I changed the oil pan gasket and it didnt have one... Just some shistie rtv job. well come to find out the pan gasket didnt settle right and leaked anyways so now I am taking it back down to redo it because the rtv I used at my buddies house was fast drying and dried before I put it up. but it leaks about 4 quarts in about 70 miles. I also put that black light dye in the oil bfore I dropped the pan and left it running but my buddy drove it and the residual oil dropped onto the passenger side half shaft and flung all over the bottom end of the car so it looked like I killed the predator when I put the black light on it. So what I am asking is what are common oil leaks on the cars and are there any tricks to sealing the pan that you recomend?
I build superstreet mustangs and this car is a totally different aspect to me and I would rather ask those that are experienced in the realm of all tracs instead of trying to figure it out on my own and possibly set my self back more.

thanks
Ramon

Shaggz00

Ramon,
A couple things could be wrong. First of all lemme start off with the fact that the oil pan is supposed to have Toyota seal packing/packing sealer (whatever it's called) as the gasket. basically RTV. That being said. engine rebuild kits do come with a cork gasket for some reason. So it wasn't a hack job, just perhaps poorly done.
Be sure the mating surface is flat. Sometimes people pry the oil pan off with a little too much force, bending the pan enough to cause a leak. Also, if they used a big prybar or something, they might have scratched the mating surface of the block, so check that closely as well.

Another possible culprit might be your oil pump. It is located behind the bottom timing belt cover towards the rear of the engine. The way it leaks out, it could almost look like the oil pan. Usually what happens is that the o-ring in the pump wears a groove onto the pumps shaft, preventing it from sealing properly. so maybe wipe off the lowest point of the timing belt cover where it meets the block, and see if more oil comes out. Is that is the problem, you will need a new oil pump. Always go with OEM Toyota. It may cost a little bit more..but it's worth it, just make friends with a Toyota parts counter guy so he gives you a discount :D , or ask one of the many toyota employees on this board to get it for you.

Another usual problem is the valve cover gasket. There are two seperate gaskets and these crappy screws that hold the cover on. sometimes they work themselves loose, and other times the gasket is just plain old. this causes oil to run down the back of the engine and finally drip off the oil pan. so it might look like an oil pan leak.

My suggestion, with the engine cold, wipe everything down and dry it. start the engine and let it warm up to proper temp but don't drive it. Check for leaks as it warms up/when its warm.

Oh, and buy a Toyota BGB(Big Green Book)/ST165 repair manual. You WILL find it handy Guaranteed!

Good luck, and welcome to the board! :D

*Edit* oh, and where are you located? maybe you can find some AllTrac gods that are local to you

hookandpull

Thanks guys... I live in Boise Idaho and only been here for about four months(military). I will check out that rtv you were talking about. I have used that black gasket maker on my supercharged 331 stroker and it seems to work very well, I am guessing that I may be able to use the same stuff on my oil pan gasket.
Come to find out when I took the oil pan off half of the gasket was broken off inside of it I guess these celicas really dont like cork gaskets. Mustangs don't either I should have known better. I am pretty damn sure that is my problem I guess I will find out. I am going to give that gasket maker a try

Thanks again

PhilipK

Make sure you clean both surfaces really good and go around the oil pan holes and then in the in between the holes, over and over until you get all the way around w/ the gasket sealer. Also, I would spend the $10 on the Toyota gasket maker, it works wonders. Let cure for 24 hours and you won't have any leaks for a long time.

Toxygene

Welcome to the club! :D

It seems that these Toyota's really have tight clearances and so it almost always seems better to get the OEM parts and kits.

If you don't find a Toyota dealership that offers decent pricing I believe some members have listed a website that sells Toyota parts online and can even call up some of the harder to find JDM parts. Definitely do a search for that site on here.

Oh and maybe show us some of the pictures of the leak and the mounting surfaces. I've had the leak from my valve cover gasket and the oil pump but they didn't seem to leak as much as you are telling us yours is. It doesn't mean it isn't the source but just seems a little excessive for the amount your seeing. I think the pan sounds right.

Good luck and I hope you end up loving the AllTrac as much as your past projects!