New Celica All-Trac Owner!

SimplyAtun

Hello All,

I am currently in talks with an ST185 All Trac owner on purchasing their car. I have wanted one for a long time however, up to this point I've always NEEDED a car in the moment and it never worked out. I previously owned a Celica GT, because I love the brand as a whole, however I had to sell that one with my second kid.

Now, I am on the market for a project car that I can enjoy for what it is, not because I need it , and there happens to be one right around the corner. I will be seeing the car for the first time in person soon now that we are in the ball park on a price that seems to be consistent with what I have recently seen on the forums. The issue with the car is that it wont be turn-key, currently it has a spun bearing and I don't yet know the severity, or damage but for the price I'd be comfortable rebuilding the motor, or doing a later model swap. I have been assured that the rest of the car is in working order, and my favorite part is that it's bone stock.

Any thoughts, or helpful tips you'd like to share? I'd particularly be interested to hear experience from other members who had a spun bearing in the 3s-gte and how you handled it?

Look forward to participating more in this forum. :D

FC Zach

My one tip is to have PATIENCE, this car will test you and then some. Something as small as tracking down an oil leak and attempting to fix it for the 2nd or 4th time, or something as big as trying to remove/install the transaxle for a clutch swap can and probably will frustrate you to the breaking point. At the end of it all, I will say it's completely worth it when strangers come up to you and compliment your ride. I have never had as many compliments with any other car as I've had with my AllTrac. Good luck with your project!

SimplyAtun

Thank you sir! I have no delusion that this is going to be a quick or easy project. My hope is, once I get into the engine, all I need to do is replace the bearing, with out any cylinder, piston or valve damage. Once I get the car running, I'll upgrade overtime, after appreciating the stock car as it is.

I am going to look at/seal the deal tomorrow assuming everything is as described/in the photos. One concern I have is the drive train condition, since I can't exactly drive the car on the spot without risking internal damage. Are there any telltale signs I should look for, that may indicate issues with any part of the 4wd system?

SimplyAtun

I am officially the new owner of a 1990 Celica All-Trac. The car itself is it worn condition, sadly because it's been sitting for 10 years, not because it was well driven in. The engine had a spun main bearing, which is why it has been sitting for so long. Unfortunately the inter cooler has been off, and the plugs have been out for a significant amount of time so my hopes for a rebuild are shrinking. I will try, before I order a 3rd gen for a swap. It was a complete car, and the condition, while worn was actually very good on the interior. the front leather seats were very nice, while the back are faded and dry, they haven't yet been cracked so I have hope to restore them.

Concerns:
Spun Main Bearing
Turbo, and engine exposed to the elements and pack rats
Shattered Passenger Window (someone shot it with a bb gun yesterday or this morning...)
Cracked Rear Spoiler (side trim)
Rear hatch wont Open
Paint
Tires