New 91 Celica All-Trac owner

New members MUST post a new intro thread before they can access the rest of the forum.

New 91 Celica All-Trac owner

Postby Rallly » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:17 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Jay, and I just bought a used stock 91 Celica All-Trac(3SGTE) motor. I have a couple questions but I'm not sure if I am allowed to ask here.?

1. Do I have a BOV? Cuz I don't hear anything.
2. I find the car seems very sluggish down low rpms and I don't feel the turbo kick on when stock gauge says it's kicked on. What should I be checking? Possible boost leak?? I have new plugs on the way.

Thanks guys:)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Rallly
Club Member

Re: New 91 Celica All-Trac owner

Postby nemo@nautilus.net » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:47 pm

A BOV is not a stock item. You need a T hose 50mm-to-50mm with a 25mm side port. Look over the FORGE FMDVSPLTR-C blow off valve for the ST185 engine.

BOV Pressure control hose taps in on left side of manifold. Do NOT use larger AC idle-up hoses on right side of engine or engine will not idle properly.

Old vaccuum hoses need to be peeled out & replaced ASAP to get your baby running smoothly.

Ignition rebuild will help, but old vac hoses will destroy all effort. Good luck. (I own twin overhauled ST185 show cars).
Twin ST185 Celica Turbo (winning) show chassis, completely overhauled. Red 1990 & White 1992 All-Tracs. :rofl:
See detailed photos in this site's Gallery: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/gallery/album.php?album_id=241 :?
nemo@nautilus.net

Postby Rallly » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:33 pm

nemo@nautilus.net wrote:A BOV is not a stock item. You need a T hose 50mm-to-50mm with a 25mm side port. Look over the FORGE FMDVSPLTR-C blow off valve for the ST185 engine.

BOV Pressure control hose taps in on left side of manifold. Do NOT use larger AC idle-up hoses on right side of engine or engine will not idle properly.

Old vaccuum hoses need to be peeled out & replaced ASAP to get your baby running smoothly.

Ignition rebuild will help, but old vac hoses will destroy all effort. Good luck. (I own twin overhauled ST185 show cars).

Thanks Nemo,

Great info. I will be doing my cap, rotor, wires and plugs this weekend. Can you tell me how to go about doing a "boost leak test" on this car? I can do it on my MKIV Supra TT but seems a bit different on this car. Also, what is the weird looking bolt with spring on the side of what looks to be the oem bov? Thanks!
Rallly
Club Member

Postby nemo@nautilus.net » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:41 pm

That is the 'idle up' adjustment for the AC. Kick in AC & engine raises the idle speed. Screw w/spring adjusts the speed of idle.

If your vacuum hoses leak, engine will shit all over itself, especially when boost is applied. No boost test to my knowledge. Overhauled 2 chassis here & have twin show car display. Taken several 1sts for 'Best Import' & 'Best Sports Car' due to looping WRC movies featuring Celica racers in '93.
Last edited by nemo@nautilus.net on Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twin ST185 Celica Turbo (winning) show chassis, completely overhauled. Red 1990 & White 1992 All-Tracs. :rofl:
See detailed photos in this site's Gallery: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/gallery/album.php?album_id=241 :?
nemo@nautilus.net

Postby Rallly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:00 am

nemo@nautilus.net wrote:That is the 'idle up' adjustment for the AC. Kick in AC & engine raises the idle speed. Screw w/spring adjusts the speed of idle.

If your vacuum hoses leak, engine will shit all over itself, especially when boost is applied. No boost test to my knowledge. Overhauled 2 chassis here & have twin show car display. Taken several 1sts for 'Best Import' & 'Best Sports Car' due to looping WRC movies featuring Celicas in '93.

Cool man, sounds like you know your shit:)

Just took it out tonight, seems to run very sluggish, almost stalling, for about 3mins after startup, better after the 3mins but still feels like the turbo just isn't kicking on. It's stock. Boost gauge moves but I dont hear any different noises or feel very much power when it kicking on?
Rallly
Club Member

Postby nemo@nautilus.net » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:46 am

Exhaust still stock? Could be plugged up the ass with rust & carbon. 3" stainless is big improvement, but needs to be heated & shaped around front cross member & rear axel, then wrapped with manifold heat wrap where it crosses those points to kill the vibration noise. One time job & will outlast car.

You will do yourself a *big* favor by removing the center stainless 'resonator' when installed. :rofl:

My twin show car pics: http://www.qrz.com/db/N0PWB
Last edited by nemo@nautilus.net on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nemo@nautilus.net

Postby Spectra1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:04 am

How does it idle for the first few minutes after start up if you just let it run and do not drive? After 3 min of letting it idle does the engine start to sound and idle differently?
93 St185 DD
90 ST185 - Project
Spectra1
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Rallly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:22 am

Spectra1 wrote:How does it idle for the first few minutes after start up if you just let it run and do not drive? After 3 min of letting it idle does the engine start to sound and idle differently?

All stock everything. And it's idling up and down 700-600 on startup and when I give it gas it's super rough. Goes away after about 3min idling and clears up quicker if I drive it for about 30sec but in those 30sec it's hard to drive. It's like it wants to stall! Weird!?
Rallly
Club Member

Postby underscore » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:45 am

My best guess would be the cold start injector is dumping too much fuel while it's enabled, hard to say though.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby Rallly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:25 am

underscore wrote:My best guess would be the cold start injector is dumping too much fuel while it's enabled, hard to say though.

How do I fix that?

Also when the turbo is engaged should I be hearing any other sounds while it's boosting?

Jay
Rallly
Club Member

Postby nemo@nautilus.net » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:01 am

Pop hood, start engine and listen carefully for hissing coming from behind the intercooler on left & right side. Hiss will indicate a vacuum leak and rotton hoses. This will easily cause what you describe. Not seen a cold start injector failure. Usually they simply plug up from old fuel varnish. Idle should be at 900-1000 RPM. Rough idle (throbbing up & down RPMs) is easily caused by vacuum leak. It's a pretty tight design & easily jacked up by rotton rubber. As engine speeds up, manifold pressure goes from negative to positive and can split old hoses. Wont see it, but you should hear 'em hissing at you when split or off-nipple.

Been there. Done that. Two cars.

How many miles you have on the chassis? aged Gaskets will turn brittle & leak oil. After 140k-150k you *must* change out your oil pump & water pump, and replace the timing belt with (preferably) a full kit - idler pulley, etc. If you see your coolant temp unsteady, replace both pumps ASAP before you lose the engine from heat.

If/when you overhaul, use a metal head gasket & forget turning it into a hot smoke-blower with turbo boost over 16 pounds. There are no major replacement parts for these cars now, and it's only gonna get worse as time marches on. Don't mistreat it, and it'll serve you dependably.

The chopped blocks available out of Japan still need strip down and complete overhaul before use. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The chopped blocks are a GREAT source of spare parts. I've bought 2 in the past.

I have about $14,000 in both cars just for overhaul, and a decent list of where to get the parts and proper work done, Including rebuilding the 5-speed AWD transmissions - which no one will touch 'cause they are 'not in the book'. :bangshead:

Hindsight is 20/20. Good luck! :rofl:
Last edited by nemo@nautilus.net on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
nemo@nautilus.net

Postby Rallly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:36 am

nemo@nautilus.net wrote:Pop hood, start engine and listen carefully for hissing coming from behind the intercooler on left & right side. Hiss will indicate a vacuum leak and rotton hoses. This will easily cause what you describe. Not seen a cold start injector failure. Usually they simply plug up from old fuel varnish. Idle should be at 900-1000 RPM. Rough idle (throbbing up & down RPMs) is easily caused by vacuum leak. It's a pretty tight design & easily jacked up by rotton rubber. As engine speeds up, manifold pressure goes from negative to positive and can split old hoses. Wont see it, but you should hear 'em hissing at you when split or off-nipple.

Been there. Done that. Two cars.

How many miles you have? Gaskets will turn brittle & leak oil. After 140k-150k you *must* change out your oil pump & water pump, and replace the timing belt.

Hindsight is 20/20. Good luck!

Now that you mention it, when I blip the throttle and listening around my intercooler I hear a rattled sputtering squeak sound.
I will look into this asap!
Rallly
Club Member

Postby Spectra1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:17 pm

What your describing is exactly how my car acted after I rebuilt my distributor. I know it does not make any sense but all I can think is I somehow damaged it during the rebuild. As soon as I replaced the distributor with an extra I had it instantly went away.
93 St185 DD
90 ST185 - Project
Spectra1
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby nemo@nautilus.net » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:07 pm

I highly recommend the BOSCH distributor rotor and cap, as they are 'Made in Japan' and higher quality that many others I've dealt with.

Also - check you Turbo intake hoses for brittle cracks. Air leaks will foul up your air/fuel calcs and create the sluggish conditions you are describing. These hoses are no longer made by Toyota, but I bought 2 silicone sets (red & black) out of Hong Kong. (eBay is your friend.)
Last edited by nemo@nautilus.net on Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nemo@nautilus.net

Postby Rallly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:51 pm

nemo@nautilus.net wrote:I highly recommend the BOSCH distributor rotor and cap, as they are 'Made in Japan' and higher quality that many others I've dealt with.

Also - check you Turbo intake hoses for brittle cracks. Air leaks will foul up your air/fuel calcs and create the sluggish conditions you are describing. These hoses are no longer made by Toyota, but I bought 2 silicone sets (red & black) out of Hong Kong. (eBay is your friend.) :rofl:

I will look into getting some new silicone hoses and couplers. Should the air filter box be air tight? I guess that doesn't really matter since the beginning pipe is open under the headlight?

Ya man, ever since I did an engine shampoo, it's been running like shit after startup for about 3-5mins.
Rallly
Club Member

Next

Return to New Member Forum