New 91 Celica All-Trac owner

New members MUST post a new intro thread before they can access the rest of the forum.

Re: New 91 Celica All-Trac owner

Postby nemo@nautilus.net » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:34 pm

I pulled the wheel, opened up the drivers side fender plastic guards & chopped out the 'resonator box' connected to the air intake. This brought up the airflow into the filter box. Check those Turbo intake hoses - they turn to shit as the plastic/rubber ages, fractures & sucks unmeasured air - heat takes it's toll.

You'll do yourself another favor by whacking out the center exhaust resonator. 8)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by nemo@nautilus.net on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twin ST185 Celica Turbo (winning) show chassis, completely overhauled. Red 1990 & White 1992 All-Tracs. :rofl:
See detailed photos in this site's Gallery: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/gallery/album.php?album_id=241 :?
nemo@nautilus.net

Postby Rallly » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:58 pm

Rallly wrote:
nemo@nautilus.net wrote:I highly recommend the BOSCH distributor rotor and cap, as they are 'Made in Japan' and higher quality that many others I've dealt with.

Also - check you Turbo intake hoses for brittle cracks. Air leaks will foul up your air/fuel calcs and create the sluggish conditions you are describing. These hoses are no longer made by Toyota, but I bought 2 silicone sets (red & black) out of Hong Kong. (eBay is your friend.) :rofl:

I will look into getting some new silicone hoses and couplers. Should the air filter box be air tight? I guess that doesn't really matter since the beginning pipe is open under the headlight?

Ya man, ever since I did an engine shampoo, it's been running like shit after startup for about 3-5mins.

I used an Oem cap and rotor, ngk wires, and oem iridium plugs. Smoother up high rpms but still have down low stumbling at startup, and that squeak rattling sound when I hit the throttle. Also I should mention I only got 330kms on a full tank of gas and smells very rich at idle. Very poor mpg in my opinion. I have eliminated that notion of the oem intercooler having a leak. All good there. Wish I could find that squeak rattle! I can hear but can see it lol. I wish a CEL would arise so I could check on the OBD scanner... I still think you on the right track with vac leak or bad cold start injector. Aside from that issue I still don't feel as though the turbo is kick on properly... At wide open throttle with a stock All-Trac, does feel like a secondary "punch" of power when the boost gauge begins to climb? I wish there was a way to do a boost leak test. Supra MKIV seems easier to work with haha.

Any Ideas's nemo?
Rallly
Club Member

Postby nemo@nautilus.net » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Pull the large turbo intake hose assembly and visually inspect it. Where it connects into turbo (curved area) is where heat & vibration break it.

Don't inspect vacuum hoses, replace them. They are cheap & a split hose will drive you crazy finding it.

Forget about the cold start injector.

*ANY* vacuum hose leak will kill engine performance - esp idle.

When that turbo kicks in, you should def feel it push you back in the seat. I get roughly 300 miles to a tank of 91 octane fuel. About 25-30 miles less in stop/go city traffic.

Take samples of your vac hose sizes into an auto parts shop & buy bulk to refit the whole engine. ASSUME (correctly) all rubber has rotted under the hood. And it has. Trust me, hindsight is 20/20. You should have a vac hose routing/connection diagram sticker under front right lip of hood. :bangshead:

It also wouldn't hurt to search eBay for Toyota service manuals for your chassis. There are 3 total. Sniff for best pricing, as service shops consider them obsolete after 25 years & no factory parts support. Don't pay extortion prices either. I scored a complete set for like $35-$45.

For turbo intake hoses, search eBay for 'Autobahn88 Silicone Intake Turbo Boost Hose Fit Celica GT-Four ST185'. These come in Red, Black & Blue from Hong Kong. eBay is your friend.

I also have recommendations for hi/low HID lighting & sealed beam glass lens conversion kits. Also some bad-ass JDM yellow HID fog light bulb replacements. Front blinkers and front sidelights got blazing amber 20 watt & 10 watt LED replacements, and clear lenses. Looks very very clean with zero bulb heat to damage new lenses.
Last edited by nemo@nautilus.net on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twin ST185 Celica Turbo (winning) show chassis, completely overhauled. Red 1990 & White 1992 All-Tracs. :rofl:
See detailed photos in this site's Gallery: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/gallery/album.php?album_id=241 :?
nemo@nautilus.net

Postby Spectra1 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:43 pm

If his problem was just a vacume leak it woukd run rough all the time not just for a few minutes on start up.
93 St185 DD
90 ST185 - Project
Spectra1
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby nemo@nautilus.net » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Hoses REALLY affect idle when cold, then computer tries to adjust for leakage after warmup. If you can see very small cracks in the hose surface when stretched, junk 'em & replace.

See my add-on edit above.

There are several large vac hose conn behind engine manifold. Very tight squeeze between manifold and firewall. A real bitch to reach & work on. If you have one of those jacking with you, it'll be all sorts of crappy for running engine.
nemo@nautilus.net

Previous

Return to New Member Forum