New ST165 owner in Anchorage Alaska

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc116/jrwperformance/Mobile%20Uploads/download_20160405_130853_zps4edddju6.jpeg

Here is my new celica I found on Craigslist as it sat in its former owner's yard. It's a 1988 Celica Alltrac. This was the crappy picture I got after I contacted the guy about looking at it...I had my doubts about it. The picture does not show much detail, nor did the picture in the original ad. The thing looks like it was attacked by Ronald McDonald on a spray paint huffing spree with a thick layer of tree sap to top it off.

When I finally got to see it up close, I was suprised...the body was actually straight. It had no rust at all. And the paint, however horrible and tasteless, was actually done by someone that knew what they were doing.

The owner, tired of the tire kickers and the ,"I'll call you back on the car later" and never show up- types, greeted us with a cigarette in his lips and a not so sunny disposition. He showed us around the car as I searched the body for rust and signs of accident damage while he described the car's history. It supposedly got a new, very low milage engine a few years ago but it will not move under its own power, due to a broken clutch caused by winter shenanigans.I asked to fire it up. A jumper box was brought out by his son and attached to the leads under the hood where a battery was supposed to sit. A few cranks later and the engine purred to life. I was quite suprised...this thing actually ran great. So I was convinced. I wanted it...but not for the $1000 the guy wanted.

Then came the price discussion. The owner's low expectations prompted him to recite the common bull-shitting heard at the end of these kind of meetings.

"So...you like the car, but you have to think about it and you'll call me later? Right?"

"No...I'd like to make an offer."

The owners eyes lit up in disbelief as is mood went from bad to hopeful. I offered $800 cash and with little hesitation, the deal was made. He threw out his cigarette and smiled for the first time in this meeting. Cash was exchanged for a clean title. I guess this was the highlight of his week.

I came back the next day with a Uhaul car trailer and loaded it up.

Trailer shot for the history book....uhhh blogs...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc116/jrwperformance/Mobile%20Uploads/20160410_102428_zpsr8eugyh7.jpg

After about 20 bucks at the self service car wash.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc116/jrwperformance/Mobile%20Uploads/20160410_135548_zpswvkwwap0.jpg

Plans for the car. I want a hot street car. Something that can handle the craptastic roads and winter conditions in Alaska. The first thing is a clutch...but since the engine and trans has to come out as a unit in these cars, the engine is getting done too. A full rebuild with uprated pistons, rods, cams and hardware is planned. An uprated clutch and suspension work is on the drawing board as well. A garrett GT3071R and stand alone with a 350-400 BHP is the goal. And white plasti dip....

I'm excited about this one and thought I would share. Don't stare at the yellow paint and flames too long or brain damage could occur.

801Alltrac

i was wondering if this was going to pop up on here
im down in kenai, glad to see its in good hands
my 165 is in utah still