Hello from Alaska. 1989 Corolla DLX? Sedan /Auto

alaskank5

Hey everyone,

My name is Mark. I am the new owner of a 1989 Corolla DLX? Alltac Sedan (Automatic Trans). It currently has 137k original miles. Runs and shifts good. The previous owner was a "Toyota Guy" and had done a list of work to it within the last 1000 miles. He replaced all the "belts, pulleys, and tensioner, and seals around the side of the engine." It's got some cancer but not too too bad for the year. Alaska doesn't use salt on the roads, so I'm sure that saved some of the body.

By trade, I've been a certified mobile electronics installer for the past 10 years. So the first thing I did was replace the not working headunit with an alpine and new alpine speakers all around.

I've always owned GM and Jeep/AMC vehicles, so this is new to me. But I've only had it 2 days and its a blast to drive around. Gets double the MPG of any of my other vehicles.

I did some research, and it looks like they only made this car for 1 year, 1989. Only 900 were sedans, and very few were automatics, so I've heard. Anyone back up this information? I heard it might be 1 of 15-100?

Anyways that's it for now, don't want to ramble too much on my first day. Haha :D

http://imgur.com/a/Bhoat

alaskank5

Thank you! Well as far as my wifey is concerned Ill be just using it as a commuter to school and work. But shes knows I love projects....Have to hide my receipts muahah.

This week Im going to throw on a 2-way remote start alarm and add power door lock actuators to the 2 front doors so I have keyless entry working. Then address a random rattle that I was told was a heat shield, and it sounds to be true.

My other plans are to slowly restore it while driving it. I want to cutout the rust and weld in patch panels, bodywork all the dents out, and have my friend paint it.

Eventually I want to add coil-overs all around for a better ride. Ive also been doing research on engine swaps, not that I will do it anytime soon.... But I think it would make a nice little sleeper.