Hi from Australia - Chris

bajachris88

G'day from down under.

My name is Chris and am a proud owner of an import ST185. She was my new car after my beloved ST162 was stolen / written off. The 185 belonged to Ian Hawes from QLD, whom won the QLD Raceway Mid Week Sprints for the season in this car. (He had a wonderful story of driving to the race track, winning, taking trophy home on the passenger seat while WRX and Evo crews were loading their cars onto trailers for the drive back home haha).

309hp at the wheels, 15 psi, stroked, garrett GTX3076R, Plasmaman water intercooler, adapted V6 camry dual synchro box (yet still awd), K sport brakes and adjustable struts, Motec dash and ECU. She's been my daily driver for a couple years. Great bits, and the poor previous owner spent crazy money on some seriously poor workmanship by some 'pro shops' around QLD (I have happily taken the 'Drift King Performance' logo off my rear window). The amount of spanner swinging and fab work (welding, the lot) redoing all the installs correctly for longevity has been crazy, but she's a great unit. (just got to replace the turbo in time..., and relocate the intercooler fill point at the 'highest point' in the bonnet)

I joined to archive my finds in resolving the 3sgte high pitch whistle under the throttle body. google shows it has come up here before with nil documented answered. I wanted to share my solution / finds for everyones future reference.

Thanks,
Chris.

Attachments

• gt4 2.jpg
    gt4 2.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 828

aus jd 2703

Hi Chris,
Josh from Brisbane,
keen to hear all about this car, set some pretty stout times.
tried to track it down awhile ago but has know luck.

interesting about the E153 gearbox.

is the high pitched whistle only on boost? could be a boost leak. mighty carmods did a video on diagnosing boost leaks might be worth a look. (they are pretty basic shows but occasionally there is good info and always funny to laugh at.)

im really curious how it goes around qr, me and my mate cant get more then 4 flat strap laps before coolant temps get up there. even with 55mm radiators and ducting lol.

any way welcome

bajachris88

Thanks for the welcome guys!

It was a vacuum leak only on closed throttle; suspected to be TVIS butterfly shaft seals and now good after gutting the non-operational TVIS set up (JB-Welded up the holes). The high pitch whistle would set dogs off every day I drove for the last 6 months haha.

Happy to share any info on the set up. It appears a number of things were done to keep it cool. This included spacers for the hood hinges to allow engine bay hot air a direction to flow out, sheet steel underneath the front bumper to seal up the air passage through the radiator, and there is an override switch to turn the thermo fans on full time, right down to the smaller 'slim' style QLD number plate to not impede flow. There are no 'under engine' plastic covers behind the radiator.

Chris.

FC Zach

bajachris88":9pvdc3x5 said:
It appears a number of things were done to keep it cool. This included spacers for the hood hinges to allow engine bay hot air a direction to flow out,

This will actually pull air into the bay because it's a high pressure area. Will definitely lower bay temps. . I did this in my RX7 (well sorta, I actually just removed the weather strip from the rear of the hood) and recorded differences with a remote thermometer.