black gt four rc edition

gt4rcblack

I purchased my Celica about 8 months ago before I got my drivers licence and I have now been driving the car for a month and have noticed a few problems, when purchased the actual owner left the car at a relatives and I bought it off the guys uncle who never told the power steering didn't work. it hasn't changed in the month driving it although its gotten louder. I took it to a shop that quoted me 2000$ for a power steering rack, power steering pump and new tie rod ends. so I put it up on the hoist at school and sure enough the rubber gators around the ps rack are torn and all gunked up. the power steering pump has a slow leak that drains a full tanks of fluid in a couple of days and im not sure where it comes from but ive read online its a high pressure hose that wears out over time (its a common problem). so I am in need of any help I can possible get and any information. I am new to car mechanics so I don know very much, my plan is to try and source parts and bring them to a local mechanic who can put them in. I will post a picture/video of my ps rack/pump situation later

rallyst185

IS this RHD or LHD????
If its LHD, then I wouldnt source any used parts...if you need it cheap then go to Rockauto.com...they have a complete PS rack with tie rods for $155. They also have the PS pump, pressure hose and return hose..all you'll need to find are the PS rack bushings. The job isnt that difficult on a 5th gen but it does require proper tools like using line wrenches...

rrain3288

Other then the troubles of importing it. It only had small problems. The sugar cube was literally gone making shifting impossible.

underscore

Good to know. If you know anybody else that wants to import one mine is for sale as well. How did you come across his?

rrain3288

If yours was for sale when I was up in poco. It probably would have been high consideration. Originally went up there to pick up the RC in poco that I believe you're getting your door from but I wasn't able to get it across the border unless I cut it in half then I stumbled upon this one it was going to take them both.

underscore

Small world, the wreckers told me about an American who wanted to buy the whole car when I was ordering the door, I'm guessing that was you. I would've bought the whole thing as well but they aren't allowed to sell it per the stupid new rules up here.

rrain3288

Lol he told me he wasn't allowed to sell it as a whole to. I told him I wouldn't tell anyone. And he agreed. The problems were with the Blaine Port of Entry. They were a massive pain. So when I brought the other one in I went through Osoyoos Port of Entry. I wanted to go back and get the other car to. But I didn't have anymore time. I had him Ship me a bunch of its parts.

underscore

It's ICBC that they'd have problems with, they're only allowed to sell X amount of the car to a single person now and they're supposed to keep track of what was sold to who. I assume to prevent someone rebuilding a written off car and just swapping the VINs or something. Another wrecker told me what they paid for the car, they're making a killing parting it out.