Hello from Rocky Mountains, with a question!

Distant_Midnite

Hey friends,

purchased a good condition 88 all trac recently, ill have it in my hands within a week. Glad to be apart of the enthusiast family.

I need some advice. I am trying to purchase a set of wheels for the st165, and ive searched a lot of the wheel spec threads and found some of what i was looking for, but not entirely. I am looking at a set of 16x7 ET35 rims, and I am wondering if they will fit alright on the st165. I have seen a lot of discussion on peoples wheel set ups that all seem to be different. It seems like 15x7's are ok with ET35mm, and others go higher, 38,39,40 when going 16x7. Am i going to be OK and not need wheel spacers with my 16x7 ET35 set up? Greatly appreciate the help -_-

ChrisD

Welcome! Where in the rockies?

To answer your question, they will definitely fit. Quite nicely I'd say. I run a 16x7 with a +33. Tires are 205-50R16. They fill out the wheel wells very nicely. The rear is flush too, and I also have an ST205 rear end which pushes things out a bit more. You can see lots of pictures in my build thread: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showth ... 65-Gandalf

You might find with a +35 you might want a small spacer on the rear...but really, finding the perfect setup is rather difficult. I'd say, if you like the wheels, go for it. Should look good. :)

Distant_Midnite

ChrisD":18amqnnr said:
Welcome! Where in the rockies?

To answer your question, they will definitely fit. Quite nicely I'd say. I run a 16x7 with a +33. Tires are 205-50R16. They fill out the wheel wells very nicely. The rear is flush too, and I also have an ST205 rear end which pushes things out a bit more. You can see lots of pictures in my build thread: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showth ... 65-Gandalf

You might find with a +35 you might want a small spacer on the rear...but really, finding the perfect setup is rather difficult. I'd say, if you like the wheels, go for it. Should look good. :)

Wow you have had the st165 since high school eh? and still got it? that's awesome mate. I currently live in a small town near Denver, Colorado. Bought the all trac from Chicago, IL with 177k Km on the clock, not to different from when you bought yours it looks! I am having it shipped to me, and it will be here next week. I am coming from an 03 WRX which I beat within an inch of its life, and I aiming to have the nostalgia of the 88 all trac to calm down my spirited driving. Thanks for reaching out about the wheel quetion. I did figure these would fit, I was hoping to not have to use spacers but we will see when i get the wheels on. I am buying some rims from the UK, a pair of Sparco Terras. I am currently waiting to hear back from the company about specifics of their center bore measurements, because they state "1 center bore" on the site which confuses me as to the actual mm, I imagine that might mean 100mm but who knows. Hoping to get some more clarity before I go and order them but I am dedicated to the idea of getting these ones. I will look forward to posting some photos.

Welcome to the forum! I don't know if it helps too much, but I'm running 17x8 OZ Ultraleggeras which are ET35 IIRC. I get slight rubbing on the rear(nothing a minor fender roll wouldn't fix) on 215-width tires, though my car is sitting on coilovers and is a bit lower than stock. I'm not using spacers.

MjSb1SA.jpg

There are a few of us in Colorado still rocking these cars. I'm from the Springs, though there's a few folks in Denver as well.

Distant_Midnite

AlltracAvenger":a0ub4v1t said:
Welcome to the forum! I don't know if it helps too much, but I'm running 17x8 OZ Ultraleggeras which are ET35 IIRC. I get slight rubbing on the rear(nothing a minor fender roll wouldn't fix) on 215-width tires, though my car is sitting on coilovers and is a bit lower than stock. I'm not using spacers.

MjSb1SA.jpg

There are a few of us in Colorado still rocking these cars. I'm from the Springs, though there's a few folks in Denver as well.

Nice, yeah I live a little north of Denver closer to Boulder. Are there any meets that happen you could get me in the loop about? And regarding the wheels I could also go with a 17x7.5 ET40 option... maybe this would fit better?

I can't say there's much in the way of GT-Four specific meets, at least yet. I know the usual situation is that some cars go down for major work at the same time others finish major work, so it's not too easy to get more than a couple of these beasts running at the same time. I'd like to get a meet going sometime next year, pending a couple of friends finishing their swaps. That said, mine's just about back on the road and I don't plan on having it go down anytime soon, so there's that?

As far as the fitment I'm not the best one to ask but that -might- work depending on the wheel. Much of that depends on your suspension setup(stock, worn out stock, spring/strut, coilovers?). I'm definitely sitting significantly lower than stock and I have minor rubbing issues with my summer setup(but none at all with stock wheels/tires). Another good option would be wheels from later generations of Celica; I know the 16" 5-spoke wheels from the 7th-gen GT-S is a popular choice and one I was debating on running as a winter setup.

ChrisD

Distant_Midnite":2jlm4imv said:
Wow you have had the st165 since high school eh? and still got it? that's awesome mate. I currently live in a small town near Denver, Colorado. Bought the all trac from Chicago, IL with 177k Km on the clock, not to different from when you bought yours it looks! I am having it shipped to me, and it will be here next week. I am coming from an 03 WRX which I beat within an inch of its life, and I aiming to have the nostalgia of the 88 all trac to calm down my spirited driving. Thanks for reaching out about the wheel quetion. I did figure these would fit, I was hoping to not have to use spacers but we will see when i get the wheels on. I am buying some rims from the UK, a pair of Sparco Terras. I am currently waiting to hear back from the company about specifics of their center bore measurements, because they state "1 center bore" on the site which confuses me as to the actual mm, I imagine that might mean 100mm but who knows. Hoping to get some more clarity before I go and order them but I am dedicated to the idea of getting these ones. I will look forward to posting some photos.

Yep, well bought it the summer I graduated. That was a while back now! 16 years, wow. Still working on it!

Ha, "calm down" the spirited driving...well, stock they are quite tame but they are reasonably easy to wake up. Best way to calm down your driving on the streets I found is to find a style of racing you like, and get it out there! Then relax on the roads.