Switch to full style
New members MUST post a new intro thread before they can access the rest of the forum.
Post a reply

Just signed up and I'm looking for advice

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello fellow all-trac owners! I've had my 91 corolla DX wagon (4A-FE engine) for about 5 years now. Got it from the original owner with only 95k miles on it. I've made some modifications but I'm looking to get a little more power out of the engine.

I have put a custom performance muffler on and thats about it. What else can I swap out on the car to get a little more power? Please use laymans terms as I'm quite new to car modification!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Re: Just signed up and I'm looking for advice

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Install a 4A-GZE or a 20 valve 4A (can be found on eBay), really anything but the FE engine.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Whats wrong with the FE? Its been incredibly reliable so far, I've road tripped all over the US.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:56 pm

Reliable yes but when it's more power you want, it's lacking.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:01 am

Even just a normal 4AGE should make a difference. F heads are for economy, G are for performance.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:19 am

underscore wrote:Even just a normal 4AGE should make a difference.

Would be more 'plug-and-play' too. . On top of that, (depending on where the OP is located) there is more aftermarket support for an older 4AGE as opposed to a Silver/Blacktop in the states.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:27 am

Being that replacing my engine is both out of my zone of expertise and out of my budget, are there any suggestions for increased performance on the 4A-FE?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:15 am

In that case I would say look for a header and drop in (K&N style) filter that'll work for you application. . If you don't see a header for you app, I'm sure one could be fabricated to fit. On my first Celica (a '94 ST w/ a 7Afe) I recall modifying a Corolla header to work.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:39 am

Thanks! After some research it seems that a cold air intake and header is the right direction to go. I appreciate your input.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm

A good tune up can help a lot too. Fresh fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, O2 sensor and having the injectors cleaned can bring back some of the power lost over the years.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 pm

underscore wrote:A good tune up can help a lot too. Fresh fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, O2 sensor and having the injectors cleaned can bring back some of the power lost over the years.

THIS... I purchased a 99' 4Runner recently and did all of the basic maintenance items listed above as well as all of the fluids and the difference in drivability was night and day.
Post a reply