Just signed up and I'm looking for advice

Hello fellow all-trac owners! I've had my 91 corolla DX wagon (4A-FE engine) for about 5 years now. Got it from the original owner with only 95k miles on it. I've made some modifications but I'm looking to get a little more power out of the engine.

I have put a custom performance muffler on and thats about it. What else can I swap out on the car to get a little more power? Please use laymans terms as I'm quite new to car modification!

FC Zach

Install a 4A-GZE or a 20 valve 4A (can be found on eBay), really anything but the FE engine.

FC Zach

underscore":1rxu6cu2 said:
Even just a normal 4AGE should make a difference.

Would be more 'plug-and-play' too. . On top of that, (depending on where the OP is located) there is more aftermarket support for an older 4AGE as opposed to a Silver/Blacktop in the states.

Being that replacing my engine is both out of my zone of expertise and out of my budget, are there any suggestions for increased performance on the 4A-FE?

FC Zach

In that case I would say look for a header and drop in (K&N style) filter that'll work for you application. . If you don't see a header for you app, I'm sure one could be fabricated to fit. On my first Celica (a '94 ST w/ a 7Afe) I recall modifying a Corolla header to work.

underscore

A good tune up can help a lot too. Fresh fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, O2 sensor and having the injectors cleaned can bring back some of the power lost over the years.

turbo4wd

underscore":6pd3h304 said:
A good tune up can help a lot too. Fresh fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, O2 sensor and having the injectors cleaned can bring back some of the power lost over the years.

THIS... I purchased a 99' 4Runner recently and did all of the basic maintenance items listed above as well as all of the fluids and the difference in drivability was night and day.