New member from Mississippi

Jonwest

Hey guys I recently purchased a 1991 celica alltrac super red 150k miles. It’s basically stock but, with some strange parts the previous owner installed. I’m for the most part a lsx guy but, have a soft spot for 90’s Japanese sports cars.
The celica is in very nice condition for its age and mileage. I’m just having some small problems with it running out of breath and sluggish performance.

GT4times2

Welcome to the world of Alltracs. 150k miles, 200hp stock (new), relatively heavy, So, what power issues are you experiencing? :D

Any pics? Did you do compression check? Any CELs? What parts did the PO put on the car?

Jonwest

Well the previous owner told me the stock turbo went out so he replaced it with a new one. Well when the car got here it has a eBay turbonetics cast manifold with the t3 flange with a adapter to neck it down to the stock turbo flange. With a eBay CT26 with the td06 compressor wheel the $200 dollar turbo ones with only a upgraded turbo wheel. It has a 3in aftermarket down pipe which fits nicely and connects to the stock exhaust.

So when I got the car it would struggle and I mean struggle past 5k rpm. Like it was just running out of breath. So I went and changed the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Ran the injectors with a otc injector cleaner tool(where you connect the fuel feed to the pressurized tool so it runs purely off injector cleaner). Still ran bad.

So I then went and started looking for vacuum leaks found that the power steering vacuum nipple had been broken off. I plugged both lines called it a day. I then out of curiosity took the vacuum line off the tvis actuator and capped it and the line off. Just to rule it out for not opening.

So I take it out and now it will put to 7k but still feels sluggish and low on power and struggling slightly. So I’m going to change the fuel filter and see if that helps and if it doesn’t put a new fuel pump in(it’s 26yrs old it probably needs a new one anyway).

I know some of it has to do with the ebay manifold and turbo. So I’m going to get a stock manifold and ct20b turbo(might as well upgrade). Then hopefully it will run correctly. Then the plan is to get a a2w setup on the car.

Jonwest

Also I did a compression test and leak down. 170 on each cylinder and only 5% leak down on each. No codes either.

GT4times2

If it's a Treadstone manifold, you should be ok. They make decent quality stuff. Check the installation (gasket, or if there is warping)

Inspect the turbo. You say, Ebay turbo :( . That could be another issue).

Any other leaks, AFM ok? (You said no CEL, right?). Checked igniter?

Check and replace fuel pump and fuel filter since you already cleaned the injectors.

Jonwest

I think it just a eBay version of the manifold. I have the stock manifold but, there are two studs broken off in it so I’m attempting to fix that now.
I haven’t checked the igniter. I’m going to change the fuel filter and pump. Then hopefully it will run better.