Hello from England!

KoreanBadger

I'm in the process of restoring my 91 JDM GT4. however i have a bit of trouble with it now as it keeps frying my main ECU which has caused me to go through at least 3 of them now when i think i've fixed the problem it comes back to prove me wrong! has anyone else had this problem before on theirs? if so how was it fixed?

Also the problem of frying 3 ECU's they are very hard to now find in England :( Is there anyone that would be able to sell me one or know what else i could do? The ECU number is "89661-2B280" I've spend hours looking online ringing garages but i've had no success :( Help would be most appreciated :)

KoreanBadger

FC Zach":28tj0lsy said:
Pictures? What is being damaged?
What pictures would you like to see? I've checked inside the ECU to see if there was any damage like black burn marks but i couldn't see any. I've changed the alternator & ignition coil but again after a week or so of inactivity it seems to blow the ECU then when i changed the ECU last time it worked again until again after a week it starts. then after 3 seconds it cuts out. So i changed the fuel pump but that didn't work ether. so it must have some surge going to the ECU and frying it. so i'm really stumped on what to do next as i'm not very good with the electrics.

freddie

1. Check the fuse on the power supply to the ECU, It should not be any greater than 7.2 A.
2. have you changed any wiring associated with the ECU? Remember a large proportion of wires (other than signal wires)
utilise ground - negative wire. Eg Fuel Injectors, the control wire to the ECU is negative.
4. As above check all your earths (grounds). Make sure that all ground wires associated with your ECU are independent,not
hooked together. Check with the workshop manual.
5. Check all the wires at the ECU, are located as per the Workshop Manual charts.

KoreanBadger

audiodjmp77":2q0mu51l said:
Is it an rc celica? I have a spare one for a normal gt4 knocking about. Just need to find it lol
Yeah it's a normal GT4 if the code is 89661-2B280 i'll happily come buy it from you