Megan Racing Coilovers - Installed and reviewed!

Well it is finally installed! Im going to go straight to the goody goody.

Forgive me for any mistakes because I have been up since 3:30am and worked all day. I didnt get home till 10:30pm. It is now 11:00pm, so hang in there.

The install was not easy considering I did it with no air tools. The old suspension came right out. The only real problem I had was the rear endlinks(that I have now to replace).

The Fitting
Everything fit except the brake line brackets. They were slightly off and I was not able to install them back like it was on my old suspension. The rear brake line brackets have to be move about one inch towards the front of the car, in order to use them with out really risking brake line damage. For now I just zipped tied them till I install steel braided lines.

The Ride Quality
At first I didn't like the ride quality but that was my fault. After having me and a buddy (bori) adjust the suspension, the car drove like a dream. I really liked it and im coming from a 93 honda civic hatch with tein SS coilovers. The adjustment knob has a nice range different stiffness settings. I adjusted the spring as high as I could and stopped right before it started compressing, then I adjusted the height of the car with the bottom knuckle bracket(not sure of the proper name). The car is pretty low and can go lower and it can defiantly be adjusted to stock height with out breaking a sweat. Like I said before, this setup is completely adjustable.

Final thought and changes that should be made

1) The front brake brackets are open but the back ones are not. I dont understand why they did that but both front and back should be open for easier install.

2) The front brake brackets should be moved just a little bit towards the outside of the car. The bracket opening should be a little more wider. The protective paint made it smaller and you would have to shave the paint off to have the brake lines slide right in, but that will cause rust.

3) The rear brake brackets should be moved about 1 inch towards the front of the car. The bracket opening should be a little more wider.

Thats about the only things I would change but they are not terribly that bad.

Thats it for now. I can hear my bed calling my name!

FRONT
IMG_1075.jpg
IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg
IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg
IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg
IMG_1104.jpg

REAR
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg
IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg
IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg
IMG_1107.jpg

syko says

In Hawaii, we need to have 'reconstruction' permits when doing any type of suspension work. One of the tests include a 'bounce' test where the tester places his hand on the fender or bumper and puts his weight on it. If the suspension doesnt not travel a given amount (1.5 or 2 inches) you will fail the test.

Do you think you are able to do such a test and tell me the results? I am considering this an an option for some coilovers, but dont want to get it if its way stiff.

On a great note: These things look great and the drop is near perfect! I am glad you are testing/reviewing these are for the alltrac community. Keep us all updated!

Would having aftermarket brake lines solve the bracket problem ? I know
my technafit allow the collar that goes on the strut to slide so that might
solve the problem that the fixed location stock lines have ??

Maybe Robert should send you a set of lines to check out :D

syko says":35ddqxyj said:
In Hawaii, we need to have 'reconstruction' permits when doing any type of suspension work. One of the tests include a 'bounce' test where the tester places his hand on the fender or bumper and puts his weight on it. If the suspension doesnt not travel a given amount (1.5 or 2 inches) you will fail the test.

Do you think you are able to do such a test and tell me the results? I am considering this an an option for some coilovers, but dont want to get it if its way stiff.

On a great note: These things look great and the drop is near perfect! I am glad you are testing/reviewing these are for the alltrac community. Keep us all updated!

Due to the spring rate, I don't think that is possible.

BoostedBlueToyotas":s0m128mr said:
Would having aftermarket brake lines solve the bracket problem ? I know
my technafit allow the collar that goes on the strut to slide so that might
solve the problem that the fixed location stock lines have ??

Maybe Robert should send you a set of lines to check out :D

i don't think that the people that would like to keep the stock lines would like that. Even if aftermarket lines would fix the problem, the brackets should still be moved.

CMS-GT4

How bouncy is the car on the softest strut setting on bad roads?

I am really thinking about getting softer springs for my Teins.

CMS-GT4":3v687x6t said:
How bouncy is the car on the softest strut setting on bad roads?

I am really thinking about getting softer springs for my Teins.

Its not really bouncy at all. I was when i first had it because I had it on the hardest setting. at the moment, it rides stiff but does not bounce. It feels a lot like my 93 civic hatch with tein SS but with better handling of course. :D

935motorsports

The rear bracket was made to duplicate the OEM setup, so I don't blame them for that. The stock bracket is closed as well.

The main thing that we are looking for is to find out if the spring rates are correct, so we can start production.

935motorsports":3ftb0hyi said:
The rear bracket was made to duplicate the OEM setup, so I don't blame them for that. The stock bracket is closed as well.

The main thing that we are looking for is to find out if the spring rates are correct, so we can start production.

If thats the case then why are the front brackets open?

I think the spring rates are fine. If it was up to me, I would forward them the idea of making multiple spring rate setups to have a wide range of customers to suit their automobile needs. Although my car is riding smooth, i would of liked the front springs to be a little bit longer with more spacing between the coils when compressed.

If you are going to move the rear tabs don't put them where Tein did
(ie.. so they interfere with aftermarket swaybars). Hopefully you arent
going to say that most people dont have aftermarket bars ..... :D

935motorsports

Well I am not toyota, but I expect that the fronts are open because a variety of service routines call for the strut housing to be moved out of the range of the line, so they want you to be able to remove the line.

Megan racing offers several spring rate choices, but all the packaged versions will be the same. This is why we have to decide NOW before they are packaged.

QIK_GT4

can we opt for softer spring rates at the front eg 7 or 7.5? I am more into comfort then hardcore driving..

well the spring rates are fine. The car rides smooth and with just a twist of the dial, it can ride hard. So go ahead and tell them to start the production.

935motorsports

Sounds good to me!

Note: When these same coilovers are put on an ST165, they will seem "stiffer" due to the lighter weight of ST165.

Put the settings all the way to soft and see how it responsds to speed bumps and dips.