ST185 exhaust

1990alltrac

Just woundering if there was any time frame on a dp back. I'm almost done with my car and need exhaust now. I can hold off if you have any idea on when one will become available...

KORacing

No firm date yet. I just finished up the first one one Coding Paradox's car and he's going to run around with it for a while to let me know if there are any issues with it.

KORacing

No issues with it to date, but the amount of time CodingParadox has been able to run it has been limited as his motor went out. I haven't had time to arrange for him to bring it back and let me do some fixturing, but man, it was very tight to route the 3" system in that car! I worry about very small tolerance stackup leading to rubbing issues and am unsure, yet, how I will solve that potential problem.

SuperWhite92

KORacing":1mfodv0n said:
No issues with it to date, but the amount of time CodingParadox has been able to run it has been limited as his motor went out. I haven't had time to arrange for him to bring it back and let me do some fixturing, but man, it was very tight to route the 3" system in that car! I worry about very small tolerance stackup leading to rubbing issues and am unsure, yet, how I will solve that potential problem.
Are you referring to the front pipe where it goes over the crossmember?

If so, the widely recognized fix is to dent the exhaust. Not cool.
I was able to bend the lip on the crossmember to gain enough clearance to prevent rubbing with my 3" Aussie midpipe. I believe that if you were to use a 4" oval pipe, you could avoid the rubbing issue while maintaining the diameter. The price of oval pipe is terrible though, and afaik, you can't bend it very easily, so it may not be an option.

KORacing

That is one area that I was concerned with. The rear axle area is fairly tight also. There are several factors that could cause an exhaust to fit slightly different on one car vs. another, and given how tight it is, I would worry about people running into those issues. Having people modify their cross-member would be a last resort I think.

Had all these issues with an aussie system (including the midpipe
rubbing on the driveshaft) In all cases the solution was to install the
system without tighening the connections and temp shimming the pipes
where they needed to be and then tightening the connections and then
remove the shimming. This solving the rubbing on the front crossmember
and rubbing against the driveshaft in my 3 installations (2 of my 4 alltracs and one friends car). Having good motor mounts also helps.

KORacing

Yes, I still plan to produce an exhaust for the all-trac, but the prototype is still in testing with CodingParadox, and as much work as it was to produce, I'd rather make the few minor modifications and then create fixturing off of his system than start all over from scratch. Also given his dependence on the all-trac at the moment as his only car, it has delayed things a bit.

CodingParadox

Well, I just picked up a new RX-8 to replace the totalled one, so the Alltrac is free again. Sometime soon I hope to get the car down to kris for the work.

MIG407

w/ the exception of pat chinsue the alltrac community is always behind. its funny how the mr2 guys are light years ahead and have evrything available...wish this was av///

Stubble

Hey KO,
What are the details on the catback? Stainless or mild steel? Would it bolt up to an Aussie midpipe? Twin tip?
Also, a guess on availability would be great too.

KORacing

Right now the system is full SS from the downpipe back. It wouldn't be made to work with the aussie system in part or whole. I will probably start a group buy toward the end of the year, and the cost would be under $1k. If I can get a mild version of it to work out, it would probably be at least 300 less than the SS version. I still have a few bugs to work out on the prototype that David has on his car as is.

Denver_whiteST185

KORacing":1iy7v4gc said:
Right now the system is full SS from the downpipe back. It wouldn't be made to work with the aussie system in part or whole. I will probably start a group buy toward the end of the year, and the cost would be under $1k. If I can get a mild version of it to work out, it would probably be at least 300 less than the SS version. I still have a few bugs to work out on the prototype that David has on his car as is.

would it work with an aussie downpipe? im definantly for this.

Is there any chance that there will be a "stock looking" twin tip design. I don't particularly like the huge hyper-tips. they're not bad, i would rather have little more of a sleeper so that i don't atract unwanted attention from other drivers and cops.

KORacing

It probably will be a single tip design like I used on David's prototype. The tip is 4" and can utilize a silencer to make the exhaust even quieter. There may be a possibility to use various mufflers, but finding nice quality, good performing mufflers, and a 3" inlet with a dual tip outlet isn't easy.

SuperWhite92

KORacing":1zzschqd said:
It probably will be a single tip design like I used on David's prototype. The tip is 4" and can utilize a silencer to make the exhaust even quieter. There may be a possibility to use various mufflers, but finding nice quality, good performing mufflers, and a 3" inlet with a dual tip outlet isn't easy.

Have you seen Vibrant performance's new mufflers? they are super sleeper and would probably go well with a mild system.

Either way, very interested to see the results.