Ceramic coated SB46 kit pics

Griffin

Got a few more things coated for you guys to see - Purdy :D

Piston coatings (ceramic on top and dry film on the sides):
Piston%201.JPG

Connecting Rod Coating (Oil Shedding Coating)
Rod%201.JPG

Downpipe:

Downpipe.JPG

I cleaned, welded some extra support, and then ground the inlet to the DP smooth as shown. The pipe was rpeviously a bit offcenter to the V-Clamp ring and some of the pipe was sticking out into the exhaust flow.

Downpipe%202.JPG

2ZZ-GE Header 1:
Ceramic%20coated%20header.JPG

2ZZ-GE Header 2:
Bronze%20Header%201.JPG

Bronze%20Header%202.JPG

pog0

That is nice work. I love the porting and how smooth it looks. Did you do this yourself? How much do you charge for porting and polishing? Also, does this company do Black stealth coating? I prefer to keep the stealth look for the cops in Cali... I'm sure you know how it is.

I am in the process of finding/buying spare turbo parts and would like to get em P&P'd with some nice coating. Buschur is like the only person to offer this for the 4G63 community but he charges an arm and a leg since he is widely known for his work.

Glad to see your car come back, love how you go into detail on all the parts. Looks like your car is going to come back as a new beast. :)

Griffin

pog0":2jr5tfqb said:
That is nice work. I love the porting and how smooth it looks. Did you do this yourself? How much do you charge for porting and polishing? Also, does this company do Black stealth coating? I prefer to keep the stealth look for the cops in Cali... I'm sure you know how it is.

I am in the process of finding/buying spare turbo parts and would like to get em P&P'd with some nice coating. Buschur is like the only person to offer this for the 4G63 community but he charges an arm and a leg since he is widely known for his work.

Glad to see your car come back, love how you go into detail on all the parts. Looks like your car is going to come back as a new beast. :)

Yes I did it all myself but KO will be willing to do it for you as well - I checked their site after I posted this and they offer similar services. (I should not have posted any of that about money in here)

I'm not trying to be a jerk but this is KO's forum section and I don't want to be disrespectful - they have given me great service and a great product and I appreciate it. Plus they are a site sponsor so we should support them.

KORacing

Griffin":2q2kir9z said:
Yup - it cuts down on surface temps and radiant heat considerably. I would still reccomend using additional heat shields where possible, but its not 100% necessary.

BTW - I *THINK* you could probably get KO to do ceramic for you before they ship your kit if you're buying a new one, but I'm not 100% on that and I don't know what it would cost or how good their ceramic vendor is.

Polydyn rocks.

Our ceramic coater is very good in my opinion: www.finishlinecoatings.com.

Manifolds: $110
Turbine housing: $85

The color is black and good to 2000+ degrees.

Finishline is a lot better then very good, all of my coating has been done
by finishline, and then can coat about anything (well not tranny
cases unfortunately).

Griffin

Was that ceramic? I assumed it was paint. :oops:

Ah well :D I would have had to recoat anyhow after I did the porting.

KORacing

Yes, all of our parts of that type (downpipes, adapters, etc.) are always ceramic coated with a 2000+ degree black ceramic coating.

syko says

i have a question regarding ceramic coating. other than the given properties of heat retention and whatnot; are there any strength properties when coating parts? i doubt there would be, but im just curious.. :shrug:

KORacing

No more strength than paint. Certainly the thermal side of things makes a difference in how the part reacts in different situations and the stresses that can be imparted as a result. For example, heat wrapping a ceramic coated part tends to cause it to become brittle with the higher heat cycling and can lead to failure because the metal inside all that insulation can't transfer heat out of itself as well and can actually go through a eutectic phase change. Heat wrapping ceramic coated parts voids any warranty.

Griffin

A good quality ceramic coating WILL help tremendously with rust resistance however. If the coating is thick enough to be worth a darn the parts will not rust, so while the strength is not enhanced per se, the reliability is enhanced as the strength is not reduced over time.