Ceramic coated SB46 kit pics

Griffin

Downpipe isn't done yet - hopefully by next weekend.

Here are the pictures of the parts I had ceramic coated so far at Polydyn. I do a lot of business with them through my NA header porting & polishing business so I was expecting nice work, and boy did I get it - they do a great job.

All parts:
All%20parts%20ceramic%20coated.JPG

All parts 2:
all%20parts%202.JPG

The manifold below has had the inlet and outlets opened up and reshaped and polished to work properly with the ported head with oversize valves.

Manifold:
manifold.JPG

Adapter:
adapter%201.JPG

Turbine Housing
Turbine%20housing%201.JPG

Notice below that you won't see any of the flange from the turbo inlet anymore. I opened it up and polished it to make sure there would be no restrictions to flow.

Adapter and turbine housing inlet:
Adapter%20and%20turbine%20housing%20inlet%201.JPG

On the adapter to manifold views below you are looking upstream through the adapter at the manifold outlets. Because there is some room for movement when tightened I opened up and polished the inlet for the adapter at least 2m wider than the manifold outlet all the way around to ensure there won't be any edges sticking into the exhaust flow when I put them together. The manifold outlet has also been opened up a bit, reshaped and polished.

Adapter and Manifold:
Adapter%20and%20manifold%201.JPG

Adapter and manifold 2:
adapter%20and%20manifold%203.JPG

The clearance on the turbine to housing has tightened up a hair so it should improve spool quite a bit when combined with everythign else thats been done.

Turbo turbine view:
Turbo%20turbine%20view.JPG

Turbo turbine view 2:
turbo%20turbine%20view%202.JPG

Turbo compressor housing view:
turbo%20compressor%20view%201.JPG

Turbo inlet & outlet view:
turbo%20inlet%20outlet%20view.JPG

HaPpYfAcE

do you foresee any problems with the coating on the inside of the items breaking up with time? i noticed that you said the turbine has tightened up inside the housing, too...i wonder if this would be something to watch out for if getting this done elsewhere...

what type of coating did you get? i understand that it's ceramic, but is there a choice as to heat temps and whether it's the type that keeps heat in or releases it more efficiently or something?

this is definitely something i'm going to look into once i get a turbo upgrade for my mr2...i'll have to get the info from you then on where to send my stuff, lol. looks great, though.

Griffin

This is the same ceramic that they use for in-cylinder coatings (pistons and valves and the underside of cylinder heads) - it bonds with the metal quite thoroughly - I've had to remove some off a manifold I did once and I had to sand and grind it off - it would not scrape or chisel off. So I'm not worried about it - they have been coating industrial gas turbines at Polydyn for years, as well as turbine housings for turbos and headers for drag racers, the IROC deries, and many others with no problems.

Yes, the turbine to blade clearance is something you wold have to look out for if the place that was doing it did a poor job and used too much ceramic or had a run before they fused it or whatnot.

Meurz

Looks very nice man.. I love the perfection you're creating with this engine.. One day I'll build mysefl one too, can't wait till that hapens, all these shiny new parts and coated goodies.. :wink:

sikx5

god damn man! Thats beautiful work! Very clean!

As Rene said, cant wait till we rebuild our engines :D :D

Griffin

Meurz":3hwjt2qr said:
Looks very nice man.. I love the perfection you're creating with this engine.. One day I'll build mysefl one too, can't wait till that hapens, all these shiny new parts and coated goodies.. :wink:

Thanks for the Kudos!

Yeah - the last built motor I had I didn't go all out by any stretch of the imagination. This time I want to be sure that I have no regrets once it goes together so I'm taking as much time as it takes to get everything done as well as I possibly can.

Hopefully this time around I won't be able to look back and think of a single thing I would rather have done differently.

Griffin

MrWOT":1r4pz6c9 said:
You will of course be posting your EGTs yes? Interested to see how well it traps heat. :D

I don't have an EGT sensor yet - I have worked purely off my wideband O2 in the past.

I was actually thinking of getting four of them plumbed in right at the cylinder outlets, but I haven't really looked into that heavily yet.

I do have a nice infrared temp gun that reads over 1000F though, so I'll certainly me measuring external temps

Griffin

ruffneck":348t37p4 said:
Looks good! It's no TD06 :p , but nice porting work.

Ha! Once I get it together I'm going to have to find someone with a TD06 to race so I can see for myself :D

syko says

Griffin":37fwedwf said:
ruffneck":37fwedwf said:

Ha! Once I get it together I'm going to have to find someone with a TD06 to race so I can see for myself :D

YES! do it! i would love to see the results :p . either way both kits are indeed awesome. i love how it looks. i have a question however; when those parts are ceramic coated, do they tend to change color due to heat stress? or will it remain the same color throughout its durability? and how much did it cost (sorry if this has been answered already)

Griffin

syko says":11wojwmg said:
Griffin":11wojwmg said:
ruffneck":11wojwmg said:

YES! do it! i would love to see the results :p . either way both kits are indeed awesome. i love how it looks. i have a question however; when those parts are ceramic coated, do they tend to change color due to heat stress? or will it remain the same color throughout its durability? and how much did it cost (sorry if this has been answered already)

No - they keep their color. Good ceramic you can put nsane amounts of heat in teh metal, get it red hot, and it will look exacty the same when it cools.

It cost about $280 so far after tax (a bit less than in actuality that but I get a discount because I do a lot of business with Polydyn)

darthripley

very high quality coating, looks wonderful.

is the $280 price for everything? if so that is very reasonable.

i'd like to just get a manifold coated.

Griffin

darthripley":3iazr7uf said:
very high quality coating, looks wonderful.

is the $280 price for everything? if so that is very reasonable.

i'd like to just get a manifold coated.

Yup thats for everything.

I can get a manifold done for you for probably $140 or less.

syko says

WOW! $280 for everything? so as a new customer one would spend around $350+ no more than $380ish?? either way, it is a great way to keep things clean in your engine bay as clay does not rust (is this thing clay anyway? lol! clay = ceramics; i think) so if one wanted to do this, can there be some rust build up on the parts? or does it have to be in somewhat clean metal condition?

Griffin

syko says":txj4e01j said:
WOW! $280 for everything? so as a new customer one would spend around $350+ no more than $380ish?? either way, it is a great way to keep things clean in your engine bay as clay does not rust (is this thing clay anyway? lol! clay = ceramics; i think) so if one wanted to do this, can there be some rust build up on the parts? or does it have to be in somewhat clean metal condition?

Nah - if you sent your stuff to me I can get it done for under $300 I imagine. Depends if you want the polishing and flange matching like I did - that would cost extra of course. But just for Ceramic the price would be about $300 or $280 for all 3 of those parts.

The ceramic coated parts will not rust, but it is not clay. Ceramic = ceramic, its its own thing. Rust is not a problem as they have to clean all the parts prior to coating regardless of condition, which is included in the cost.

syko says

ive got another question, if a part is ceramic coated, i assume that there will be less heat dissipation among other parts of the car (meaning like less heat will be released from that particular part). does the coating act as its own heat sheild (sort of)?

Griffin

Yup - it cuts down on surface temps and radiant heat considerably. I would still reccomend using additional heat shields where possible, but its not 100% necessary.

BTW - I *THINK* you could probably get KO to do ceramic for you before they ship your kit if you're buying a new one, but I'm not 100% on that and I don't know what it would cost or how good their ceramic vendor is.

Polydyn rocks.