500whp all-trac

KORacing

More info here: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 839#201839

Relevant mods:
2.2L stroker, CP pistons (8.5:1), Carillo rods, OS valves, 272 HKS cams (110LC intake, 109.5LC exhaust), custom intake manifold, Ford TB, FMIC w/ 4" thick core, stock ignition, Accel plug wires, NGK iridium plugs (1 heat range colder than stock -- .022 gap), ARP head studs (standard 10mm), TTE 1.4mm head gasket, head/block lapped to 600grit with KO's Sonic lapping tool, KO Racing SB35R w/ .63 A/R housing, KO Racing custom exhaust, KO Racing custom 2.5" aluminum IC pipes, Tial BOV, ACT 6 puck clutch, Hydra Nemesis tuned by Kris at KO Racing, KO Racing 8mm bored stock rail (dual feed), Sard 800cc injectors, Aeromotive FPR (55psi static), walbro fuel pump.

520whp on race, 406whp on pump.

KORacing

Yes, stock ignition. We have experienced a little missing on the top end, but it hasn't been consistent. I think simply closing down the plug gap a bit more (.020) may be all that's required. I'm not sure how long the stock ignition will hold up to this boost, but this boost level isn't going to be run every day, so we'll see. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

etantshi

I wish you guys were a little closer, I'd have you tune my car. Do you guys do engine builds? I don't have a lot of the proper tools to do a 'proper' build. I could always rebuild using stock components, but what's the fun in that? So I've been shopping around for different builders.

smog7

Is it just me or does that seem like a whole lot of parts and money for the 400bhp on regular gas?

etantshi

smog7":39cxs1wi said:
Is it just me or does that seem like a whole lot of parts and money for the 400bhp on regular gas?

It's just you. I would have done more (especially in the fuel). When you increase the output of a motor by 100% reliably, you can expect to lay down some money.

tjdouble07

etantshi":24qvpvi8 said:
smog7":24qvpvi8 said:

It's just you. I would have done more (especially in the fuel). When you increase the output of a motor by 100% reliably, you can expect to lay down some money.

Thanks. I'm glad someone else said it, not just me... I think for the performance I'm getting from the car, I built it about as cheaply as you can do for, safely. Even then, just like your said, I should have done a little more with the fuel system, but when I built the fuel system I didn't know what kind of power I would be making... BTW, we are increasing the output of the engine my more then 100%. A stock 200 bph motor puts down about 150 hp to the wheels. At 520+ all-wheel hp, the car is closer to about 650 HP at the crank.

Trevor

Simba

smog7":1k1hl2yu said:

That was 400 at the wheels, not the crank, which is a stellar crapload for 92 octane.

Still, I would have expected to see more out of the 35 at 28+ psi in the top end. Some head work and a tube manifold would probably yield quite a bit more zing.

smog7

thats an eye opener. unless i become rich over night, my car is going to stay well below the stock 200hp mark for a loooooong time.

tjdouble07

Simba, i actually made the 407 uncorrected on pump at 22-23 PSI. 521 (528 std correction) was made on 28-29 PSI on race.

Simba

tjdouble07":lldwv72a said:
Simba, i actually made the 407 uncorrected on pump at 22-23 PSI. 521 (528 std correction) was made on 28-29 PSI on race.

I know. I'm surprised it wasn't a lot more (race gas run). I've seen people make ~450 or so with considerably less turbo (and boost), which makes me think something's keeping that 35 from making as much as it could.

I would have expected 600+ at the kind of boost you were running.

KORacing

etantshi":1suw4dv4 said:
I wish you guys were a little closer, I'd have you tune my car. Do you guys do engine builds? I don't have a lot of the proper tools to do a 'proper' build. I could always rebuild using stock components, but what's the fun in that? So I've been shopping around for different builders.

We absolutely could handle your engine building needs. We have several MR2 engine builds going on in the shop currently.

KORacing

Simba":38x582j4 said:
tjdouble07":38x582j4 said:

I know. I'm surprised it wasn't a lot more (race gas run). I've seen people make ~450 or so with considerably less turbo (and boost), which makes me think something's keeping that 35 from making as much as it could.

There are certainly still a few things we could look at to get more, but it's sort of moot with the amount of things on the car that are at their respective limits -- fuel system, clutch, etc. If I was to pick a couple things to change going forward or with similar builds to make more power: larger fuel system, better porting on the head with flow bench work, stronger clutch, larger ic pipes and maybe TB, perhaps a .82 A/R turbine housing vs. the .63 on Trevor's car, stronger ignition (MSD setup), aluminum radiator, larger or stronger head studs, play a bit with cam timing on the dyno, larger exhaust or a cutout off the dp (for track/high boost use), check the intake to see if it's restricting.

Keep in mind all dyno runs were made in AWD vs. many/most 3SGTE dynos out there being 2wd (i.e. mr2s), the exhaust and intake were left intact and connected at all times on Trevor's car. AWD mode takes up at least 30whp over 2WD mode at these levels from the brief testing we did the last time we dynoed Trevor's car.

We were making ~450 AWHP at about 22psi on race. Given more time and unlimited funds, we could have found every last hp to be had, but we did have some constraints on that front.

tjdouble07

Simba":3elfmg77 said:
tjdouble07":3elfmg77 said:

Kris summed it up for me. I agree there is more power to be made, but we are reaching the limits of about everything on the car, and I'm on a limited budget. I'm getting married...

Trevor

tjdouble07

etantshi":yltnb0b6 said:
That manifold you guys used for the intake, is it a center feed or more like a traditional side feed?

It's a center feed one that I fab'd up using a piece of square extruded aluminum (purchased from Ross Machine Racing) for use as the plenum.

TJ007_GT4_07.jpg

smog7

its funny how this car got so much more attention over at mr2oc then here. alltrac owners are tooo quiet. awesome car by the way. I just didnt realize that it took so much to reach that high of hp.

tjdouble07

theUNYTEDone":1eesj5ko said:
anyway, trev: coupla ???'s

-is that the 302 TB?
-did you polish the manifold or did it come that way?

I'm not sure what model of Ford/engine my TB was off of... I went scavenging the junkyard and I found that TB off of a pretty old beat up car. It's definitely off of a ford V8 though. :D

As far as the manifold is concerned, All that “bling bling” is from the hard work of Kris and Tim at KO and their polishing wheel. I brought the car up to KO with the engine looking like this:

Johnson90GT4_000.JPG

and I got it back looking pretty much like this, minus a few changes here and there...

TJ007_GT4_06.jpg

There were a few things that Kris called "doing it KO style" that he wanted to do with my car, both for quality/longevity, higher power output, and for that “bling” factor. The polishing of the manifold was one of those “bling” factor things. Kris and Tim also rerouted my wiring harness behind the manifold to help clean up the engine bay. They didn't even tell me they were going to do those things.

You should have seen the look on my face when I saw it all done. When I headed back up to Oregon it was like "Pimp My Ride" minus the rice, when the car owner sees their car for the first time after it's done and can't believe what they are seeing. Too good to be true. :shock:

When I got back up to KO, he had cleaned up the engine bay replacing most of my ebay specials keeping in mind the power output/amount of boost we were planning on running. Hence the replacement of my t-clamps, fuel pressure regulator, rerouting and rolling beads on my IC piping, replacing my turbo hardware to a StreetBrawler setup, and replacing my entire exhaust that I had just had built a week prior (the guy who built it the first time did a horrible job...). Most of these things were things we discussed changing when I arrived up there the first time, so for the most part there weren't too many surprises, except it turned out a lot better then I originally expected, with all of the detail work really adding up to make for a winning finished product.

I can't say it enough... I highly recommend KORacing for all your automotive needs. They pay attention to the details, and make sure it's done right the first time! :)