Previa All Trac status?

seabrook71

Should the Previa All Trac be condemned like all other mini vans? I can think of no other minivan that had the option of a supercharged, 5 spd, all wheel drive model. Other than the body style I have to give it props. I regularly see these things on craigslist with over 300k on them and still running strong. There's a dude on youtube jumping one and driving it up a 50 degree incline! I think we might have to make an exception for this minivan. It makes me want to buy one and rally the shit out of it just for the absurdity of it!

Fearlessmortal

my family had one of these for years. We put around 200 k on it and we sold it to someone else. It ran fine from day 1. The only thing we ever had to fix was the exhaust manifold had a leak so that got replaced. I learned how to drive in the snow in that thing. I also did a 4wd doughnut in a parking lot just because I could. Tons of space, stupid reliable. Painfully bad looking IMO. I loved it, recommend to anyone!!!

seabrook71

The dry sump thing makes sense since the motor is turned 90 degrees on its side. I know it sounds retarded but I'm going to buy one of these things this summer. It would make the ultimate camping car. It probably gets decent gas mileage as well. You just have to get past the ugliness.

Fearlessmortal

seabrook71":2quxuqrs said:
The dry sump thing makes sense since the motor is turned 90 degrees on its side. I know it sounds retarded but I'm going to buy one of these things this summer. It would make the ultimate camping car. It probably gets decent gas mileage as well. You just have to get past the ugliness.

No the mileage sucks. The car makes about 170hp but it weighs like a million tons. We camp regularly, Maine, Skyline drive, etc... piled full of stuff we usually averaged no more than 23mpg. That was highway. Once we hit skyline drive for example, the tranny threw a warning light telling us it was overheating. You really gotta dog it to go uphill with a heavy load. gas mileage goes way down. Still loved it though.

edv-tek

S/C All-trac LE. MPG 17/21. more like 15/19.5. curb weight 4095 lbs. Right out of the original dealer hand out. LOL trying to find one. -ed

chaos_cascade

Always one for sale out here on Craigslist. Had a friend with one and he loved everything about it except trying to find someone who would work on it.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1232992927.html

100k miles and only $2350

3kb3m23o6ZZZZZZZZZ96l2982306bc4a818c2.jpg

edv-tek

With that kind of mileage the Previa would sell for at least 3k out on the east coast. Also you might want to look for one w/ LE badge with the extra value package which includes anti-lock braking system, leather seating surface/trim, 4 Captain's chairs and privacy glass. The Craigslist Previa did not have the alloy wheels. Too bad they didn't make an All-trac with the dual sunroof option with the rear spoiler. Does anyone know a Previa with a "chill box"?-ed

Tippo

my mom had one when we were kids. it was awesome.... what basically made me love toyota. it had 320k miles on it and it STILL ran. gave it to the fire department to explode it in a simulation.

seabrook71

As soon as I sell my second Celica AllTrac, I'm going to buy a Previa AllTrac. I want to take out the seats, install a roof rack, air bag it to get some clearence and drive it to the most remote places in Oregon. I want utility, not luxury. Those gas mileage numbers aren't that bad considering any other vehicle with similar capabilities like a Suburban or 4WD full size van is going to get half of that. As long as you don't have to tow then, with the exception of it's appearence, I think the Previa is the most practical. Aside from the Toyota Truck, I don't think anything else can even come close on the reliability.

masco

Though the Previa was available with 5sp, 4wd, Supercharger. I don't believe you could get a Previa spec'd with that particular combination of options. All S/C Previa are Automatic.

IMHO the ones to get are 5sp manual rear wheel drive. The supercharger added much needed power, but at the expense of fuel consumption. I see a lot of the supercharged examples on the road still, so they must be somewhat reliable, just make sure to check the S/C oil levels.

A good project would be to get a Supercharged motor and convert it into a Turbo set up. Those blocks have forged internals and oil squirters!!!

All the car needs is 200hp 200lb.ft it isn't too heavy for a van.

altracam

If I had to do a Previa, I would find a 91/92 5sp alltrac Previa with blown head gasket and buy a wrecked 97 LE/SC dual sunroof, middle row captains chair. Why a 97? It has the best interior out all the year models.

Take the motor/ecu and all interior + the dual sunroof and put it into the 91/92 5sp All-Trac Previa. Play around with the supercharger or covert it into turbo.

Total cost of the both Prevs will be less that $2k but labor would cost alot if you let someone else do the work.

Domspun

altracam":2jiy3g6m said:
If I had to do a Previa, I would find a 91/92 5sp alltrac Previa with blown head gasket and buy a wrecked 97 LE/SC dual sunroof, middle row captains chair. Why a 97? It has the best interior out all the year models.

Take the motor/ecu and all interior + the dual sunroof and put it into the 91/92 5sp All-Trac Previa. Play around with the supercharger or covert it into turbo.

Total cost of the both Prevs will be less that $2k but labor would cost alot if you let someone else do the work.

Don't give me ideas!!! :D I would do it if it could tow 5000lbs...?