Floor/chassis swap advice needed

athousandleaves

I just bought a very rusty auto 91 Camry alltrac and am now thinking that I could get another manual 91 V6 Camry and just cut the floor out of the alltrac and then weld it into the far less rusty V6 Camry and not lose the 4wd.

I just want to know if anyone has had any experience with something as involved as forcing a 4wd drive train into a FF car. Like a GTS->alltrac conversion. :shrug:

As far as I can figure this project would involve:

• Stripping the interior of both cars
    Cutting out the floor of both cars
    Welding the 4wd floor into the V6 chassis & mounting the 4WD drive train
    Possibly swapping some of the electronics to save the 4WD on/off switch for kicks
    Replacing all the interior stuff and then finally getting to drive it.
This car is going to be my winter DD as my 185 suffered massively last winter out on some black ice :cry:
I don't really want this to turn into some never ending project but don't know how long getting all this done would take. If I could complete all the work in like 2 weeks or less I'd be more optimistic about doing the swap.

The other option would be to just swap all the good body work and engine from the V6 onto the alltrac and and work with that.
My only problem with swapping that way is the alltrac I have is severely suffering from rot everywhere accept under the car and in the engine bay; so the front fenders need to go rear quarters are in rough shape one wheel well has a hole right through it the body around the windshield is in rough shape too.

A friends friend can help me out with the cutting and welding on the cheap apparently but the friend is out of town so I wont know for a bit how cheap it is!

Any guidance/advice would be very helpful as I'm working with a really limited budget but want to end up with one nice 4wd camry out of the two.

Thanks!

athousandleaves

Just for reference, here's pictures of the floors from the V6 and from the alltrac

all-trac
diag_Zkfnn.png

diag_ZjoDz.png

V6
diag_ZjoD5.png

diag_ZjoD7.png

I'm beginning to think the floor replacement/swap will be way too much work and that i'm better of just chopping up the V6 and welding its good parts to my alltrac...

GMan

Plan on doing a 4cyl swap 3sf, 5sf or 3sgte?
I severely Doubt the AT tranny & AWD transfer will mate to the v6 engine.

Unless you plan to upgrade to a V6 auto from a later gen set up ?
Seinna, Highlander, RX300 ?

There is a V6 manual swap using a 3vr & a Rav4 tranny.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20037
(registration required)

The floor plans of the awd & fwd are different.
Read up on the swaps already done to swaps with 5th gens ?

https://wfs.bc.edu/melket/Public/Car_st ... D_Swap.htm

One Camry fwd to awd swap...
https://wfs.bc.edu/melket/Public/Car_st ... ry_GT4.jpg

> as I'm working with a really limited budget
> but want to end up with one nice 4wd camry out of the two.

If you are doing the work yourself or with a friend, you Might be able to pull it off ?? :shrug:

The cost of swaps tend to creep up due to unforeseen expenses.

> I'm beginning to think the floor replacement/swap will be way too much > work and that i'm better of just chopping up the V6 and
> welding its good parts to my alltrac...

That might be a better way to go ?
Good luck.

Regards;

athousandleaves

Thanks for the advice.

With what I've heard from people over on toyotanation and others irl doing the weld & chop will probably be the least work.

Also I figure that by grabbing this V6 Camry now I'll be saving myself the trouble of finding the manual interior parts for when I do a 3SGTE swap in on the Camry. Its not worth the work of doing two whole engine swaps.