Switch to full style
Camry All Trac, Previa All Trac
Post a reply

1992 Corolla Alltrac seeks transplant, advice?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:21 am

Basic question: will a FWD 4afe fit in the Corolla Alltrac, I would like proof if at all possible. Anyone done this successfully?

Looking at picking up a 1992 Corolla Alltrac wagon for next to nothing. It has rod knock and I'm trying to figure out the best course of action. I have a very tight budget. I'm looking at sourcing a 4afe (same engine code as the corolla fwd/awd, tercel, celica st, etc) out of a fwd car and putting it in. I talked with the local salvage yard and they say it's not the same motor code in their system. I call Yamato and they give me an explanation that the block is different to accept the awd. I call toyota and have them compare part numbers between my fwd celica (93 st with the 4afe) and this car...different numbers.

Now, after doing some reading I hear about people swapping in 4age's from bluetop to blacktop 20v. Only problem I've read up on is the s/c on the 4agze getting in the way of the center diff. Since the 4age swaps in...should the 4afe from a fwd fit? I would think so.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Re: 1992 Corolla Alltrac seeks transplant, advice?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:03 am

It looks like they all use the 4a block, so I would imagine it should bolt on, just maybe some grinding. Seems the only difference would be the alltrac has a carb and the 4afe is fuel injected.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:24 am

UtahSleeper wrote:It looks like they all use the 4a block, so I would imagine it should bolt on, just maybe some grinding. Seems the only difference would be the alltrac has a carb and the 4afe is fuel injected.

Both are fuel injected. The Alltrac Corolla looks identical to my fwd Celica under the hood (from the top).

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:27 am

Wasn't sure on the motor. The research I did showed 3 motor options for corolla's in that year. One carbed and 2 EFI'ed. You could always check part numbers, such as clutch and flywheel to see if they are the same.

I can't imagine them not bolting up. People take the 5s blocks and mount them to the celica alltrac trans with no real issues normally, except a little block grinding and maybe trying to figure out flywheel/clutch. I hope someone with real experience chimes in soon, just the rolla trac has even less of a following then the celica.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:37 am

It is probably similar to the 3s-fe in the FWD vs. Alltrac Camrys - maybe just a couple bolt holes that need to be drilled and tapped for mounts or something. It should be pretty easy to get a FWD motor to fit.

-Charlie
Post a reply