1992 Corolla Alltrac seeks transplant, advice?

creech_r

Basic question: will a FWD 4afe fit in the Corolla Alltrac, I would like proof if at all possible. Anyone done this successfully?

Looking at picking up a 1992 Corolla Alltrac wagon for next to nothing. It has rod knock and I'm trying to figure out the best course of action. I have a very tight budget. I'm looking at sourcing a 4afe (same engine code as the corolla fwd/awd, tercel, celica st, etc) out of a fwd car and putting it in. I talked with the local salvage yard and they say it's not the same motor code in their system. I call Yamato and they give me an explanation that the block is different to accept the awd. I call toyota and have them compare part numbers between my fwd celica (93 st with the 4afe) and this car...different numbers.

Now, after doing some reading I hear about people swapping in 4age's from bluetop to blacktop 20v. Only problem I've read up on is the s/c on the 4agze getting in the way of the center diff. Since the 4age swaps in...should the 4afe from a fwd fit? I would think so.

UtahSleeper

It looks like they all use the 4a block, so I would imagine it should bolt on, just maybe some grinding. Seems the only difference would be the alltrac has a carb and the 4afe is fuel injected.

creech_r

UtahSleeper":2fwwg8za said:
It looks like they all use the 4a block, so I would imagine it should bolt on, just maybe some grinding. Seems the only difference would be the alltrac has a carb and the 4afe is fuel injected.

Both are fuel injected. The Alltrac Corolla looks identical to my fwd Celica under the hood (from the top).

UtahSleeper

Wasn't sure on the motor. The research I did showed 3 motor options for corolla's in that year. One carbed and 2 EFI'ed. You could always check part numbers, such as clutch and flywheel to see if they are the same.

I can't imagine them not bolting up. People take the 5s blocks and mount them to the celica alltrac trans with no real issues normally, except a little block grinding and maybe trying to figure out flywheel/clutch. I hope someone with real experience chimes in soon, just the rolla trac has even less of a following then the celica.

phattyduck

It is probably similar to the 3s-fe in the FWD vs. Alltrac Camrys - maybe just a couple bolt holes that need to be drilled and tapped for mounts or something. It should be pretty easy to get a FWD motor to fit.

-Charlie