88 Camry All-Trac. Motor Swap Qs/Progress

flyingdutchman

Seemed strange to me too but I figured I'd double check. It points upwards-ish so maybe its just there to allow pressure to escape?

EDIT: Thinking the passenger side line goes to the fuel pressure regulator. Will report back Monday. Hopefully all goes well, car has to be out of the shop by xmas...

phattyduck

Everything but the transfer case vacuum lines matches up with a FWD car, so searching google might help.

The transmission shifter area - that's just a vent. It should be pointing sideways or down to keep water/crud out of there.

Throttle body coolant lines - they should go down then forward (order doesn't matter on that one). There is also a vacuum line in that area that goes to the power steering pressure idle-up valve (really, to a metal pipe, then over to the idle-up valve) - don't mix them up.

Some helpful images:

0900c152801ccc6c.jpg

3sfe_vci_info.jpg

I'll try to get out to the garage tonight and get pictures of the transfer case vacuum lines. I don't think you'll find those diagrams anywhere else.

-Charlie

flyingdutchman

Charlie, thats exactly right. Don't worry about the photos, I got it all together today. But of course the fuel pump is bad & the hard line is rusted nicely..
Its soaking overnight, hopefully we get to hear it run tomorrow!

Thanks for all the help so far, and have a nice holiday!

phattyduck

Ha! I went out there anyway. Its pretty hard to get any pictures of the center diff control vacuum system.

So, the first vacuum line in from the passenger side is to the FPR, The second one is T'd to the diff control system and the cruise control actuator.

The two VSV's on the firewall for the diff seem to work in parallel, from what I can tell. Did you take any pictures of the back of the motor? I'm assuming there is some sort of vacuum accumulator and a couple actuators... I can't see back there past the intake manifold and all the other stuff in the way.

Once you get it back on the road, check the locking operation and go from there. :)

-Charlie

flyingdutchman

It moves! Shakedown drive and the rest of the DMV stuff today. Diff Lock does not engage as far as I can tell, also the heater is stuck on hot (blows hot even when cold), and I need a wheel bearing or two.

But other than that its awesome! Doesn't rev too nicely down low but once you get up there it really starts to take off! Loving the car already! Also put my janky ski racks on top, now it just needs to snow!

Photos coming soon!

phattyduck

The engine should have good (for what it is) torque from about 2k to 4k. Power dies off at the top.

If the car is an LE, then the heater issue is probably something with the control panel (bad solder joints). The previous owner may have disconnected the heater valve in the engine bay and left it full open due to the problem previously (it normally give no heat when there is a problem).

-Charlie

flyingdutchman

Yeah its an LE. Thanks for heads up on the control panel, would have never found that! Also seems like the lowest two blower fan speeds don't work. I'll bust out the soldering iron sometime.

Checked the diff lock engagement today, the rod moves, but the light on the dash doesn't come on. I assume its just a 'dumb' light? No computer control on the system or anything?

'up there' meaning 3k plus ;) you're right though.

phattyduck

There's a good thread on Toyotanation in the gen1/2 Camry section on the heater controls. The lower fan speeds can be fixed by getting a new blower motor resistor. Make sure you get the one for the "LE" model, it has a different plug (6-pin sized with 4 pins loaded) than the base/DX model.

Diff lock light for the manual trans does look to be a dummy light from the diagrams, but I remember vaguely that the light turns on slowly when it is engaged (not sure how, nothing like that in the diagrams). The wiring harness it out of my factory manual trans alltrac, so I can't check.

-Charlie

flyingdutchman

Thanks! I'll check it out. My dash is all messed up so I'm going to wait until I replace that. The button is obvious enough when its on/off.

Turns out the solder joints inside the dash for the heater control were cracked. Different ones than the joints listed on ToyotaNation. One of the P/Os had jumped the connecter with a hairclip to keep it on full hot. Sounds like a resourceful girl ahaha. Anyway, fixed it all up, works OK but not perfect. I guess I'm heading to the junkyard. Anything fancy to look out for (other than the digital dash)?

New Guy

The ES250 front strut brace bolts in and makes a mild improvement. The ES250 glove box liner also drops right in and is a nice velour-lined setup instead of the Camry plastic.

flyingdutchman

New Guy":3tts555g said:
The ES250 front strut brace bolts in and makes a mild improvement. The ES250 glove box liner also drops right in and is a nice velour-lined setup instead of the Camry plastic.

Thanks for the info! Actually found a 250 at the junkyard at was sharing some parts with people at ToyotaNation. I think the shipping on the strut brace is going to be too much though.