How much work do you do on your own car?

General Chat

How much work do you do on your own all-trac

Weak Sauce. i let my wallet do the work
1%
Beginner. oil change, spark plugs, etc..
2%
Intermediate. Brakes, suspension, turbo swap etc..
23%
Advanced. Engine swap/ clutch job etc..
41%
Jedi. Engine rebuilding, EMS wiring guru etc
33%

Total votes : 98

How much work do you do on your own car?

Postby Qlynxer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:39 am

I'm curious to see how much work members do on there own cars. I would also like to know how you learned what you have. What i mean by that is have you had professinal training? or did you learn from an uncle, or did you rely on freinds, internet, whatever.
I personally got started rebuilding heads for my dad's shop when i was 14. I didnt really know what the head did but i sure knew how to take em apart and put em back together. I really learned most of waht i have from freinds, the internet, and alot of just doing shit myself. I consider myself an intermediate level but i'm sure my clutch isn't going to change itself anytime soon so I hope to be advanced by summer.

Quan L
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
88 165 w/ 185 swap Gt28rs 205IC
Santa Ana Ca
Qlynxer
Club Member

Postby PhilipK » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:14 am

I got my car two years back and have done all the work myself. I have pulled the engine, removed everything, got it rebuilt, and then I put everything back on it and put it in. Now I am in the middle of upgrade phase 2, which includes KO Racing SB Turbo Kit, removing AC, ABS, CC, among other things, custom mounting engine oil cooler + oil filter relocation, and tranny cooler, upgrading the fuel rail, injectors, pump, AEM EMS + sensors, + I am going to learn how to tune the car. How did I get started, well when I was 16 I bought the ST185 with not knowing anything about cars and just got on alltrac.net and bought a BGB and did it all myself. Just do quality work and be ready to learn and you will be good off.
PhilipK
Club Member

Postby Griffin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:22 am

I do it all. Engine builds, FMIC kit design, installed and tuned EMS, clutches etc. The only thing I don't do is body work, because I suck at it - I haven't even a hint of artistic talent.
Dave Staba
Owner - DD Performance Research
SOLD - 1990 Black ST185
Current - 2000 Celica GTS , 2000 MR2 Spyder, 2013 Scion FR-S
Sealy, TX
Griffin
Established Member

Postby OlyST185 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:41 am

the only thing i havent made is rebuilding the engine.
-Oly (Montreal)
3SGTE'S POWER, 4WD SUPREMACY
[img]http://olyst185.multimania.com/turbo4wd.jpg[/img]
-ST185 1990 Black. RC/CS Conv.
OlyST185
Established Member

Postby Stubble » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:53 am

I rebuilt my engine, but I'm sure I don't qualify as a jedi. Taking shit apart and putting back together is easy. Tuning with a standalone is black magic as far as I'm concerned right now.

That said, a full engine overhaul on my AT was the third repair I ever attempted on any car, and before that I considered taking anything off to be black magic....maybe I'm ready for an EMS afterall?
Brady Ryall
1990 ST185 Red - parts
1990 ST185 Black
1999 Miata
2008 A3 Quattro S-line
Stubble
Established Member

Postby PhilipK » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:56 am

Ya, body work is tuff stuff, really hard if you don't have the right tools.
PhilipK
Club Member

Postby SuperWhite92 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:50 am

5 engines, 3 transmission in my garage right this moment. We have 2 engine stands and 1 hoist. We have 4 cut up wiring harnesses and 16 spools of various gauge wire. Air tools, and 4 whole tool sets from craftsman and crescent.

I'd consider myself up there. I've done a swap, and replaced most every piece of the car with the motor in or out (sometimes both). One time I replaced the alternator and the seat belt (If you've done this, you realize what a PITA it is) in 40 degree weather and the parking lot outside my dorm.
Shaun
My 1992 Alltrac is for sale again.
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Postby ___Scott___ » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:01 am

I don't consider myself a guru at any of it, but none of it scares me enough to trust and pay someone else to do it.

In fact the thing that scares me is turning my car over to a shop to work on. There is only one local shop I trust to work on my car, and they are expensive so I avoid that as much as possible.

As far as body work goes, it's really pretty easy. To a large extent it's a case of monkey-see, monkey-do. So if you can hang with someone who knows what they are doing, you'll pick it up pretty quick.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Postby 124Spider » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:29 am

I do simple stuff--fluids (engine oil; tranny oil; differential oil; brake fluid); changed shocks; brake pads; rotors (if they ever need changing). my son changed the sway bars for me, and will do some other things, like changing the power steering hose and valve cover gaskets;

The car's going in for extensive service soon, to fix a numer of things which I just don't want to hassle with.
2004 Honda S2000
1991 Spec Miata
2004 Mazda RX-8 (wife's car)
1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac ST165 (sold)
124Spider
Club Member

Postby d1alltrac » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:51 am

i'll do pretty much anything....the one thing that does scare me a little is electrical stuff though, physical wiring isnt a problem but some electrical stuff i just know nothing about

a lot of what i learned was from my brother and friends when working on one of many MKIII supras; i also learned alot from just grabbing a ratchet and popping the hood; the rest has been from forums, mainly right here
Patrick R.

88 ST165 x2
92 MR2 turbo
02 330i
d1alltrac
Established Member

Postby omgitsroy326 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:51 pm

i've done a head gasket... where does that fall under? i know that wasn't a beginner....
FOR SALE>> CHECK FOR SALE FORUM (IS350)
omgitsroy326
Established Member

Postby Cashback » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:09 pm

I'm afraid to do anything but after I've done it once, I'll do it a thousand times. I'd say I fall somewhere between intermediate and advanced, because everything major I do is always with the help of friends and the internet.

I started working on cars in high school with my friend's Civic swap and just sort of fell into all of this. Mainly I find myself in the company of people way better than me and way more advanced but when I look at it compared to most other people I guess I really do know a lot of shit.

Doubt is really big for me right now, but I think that will change once I crank my engine over and drive it out of the garage. It'd be nice to see two years of hard work finally pay off.
Cashback
Club Member

Postby Gurr » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:33 pm

Well, I'm doin a headgasket and head swap right now on my car, while the engine is in the car as I don't have the right tools to pull the engine.
White 165.

Working out the 2g head/turbo swap kinks right now. *hates wiring problems*
Gurr
Club Member

Postby Akira-R » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:01 pm

I went from doing my first oil change to replacing the engine in a few months.
I had a great group of friends which I could always fall back on.

I can do anything with that requires bolting and unbolting, like replacing engines, cams etc. Those are pretty simple. I try and stay away from anything electrical, but will dive into simple wiring and testing if needed.

I have yet to dissasemble a bottom end yet, but i'm sure i'll get to it sooner or later. Tuning is also something I know nothing about. I leave that up to the experts.

I swear though, it's always the littlest things that cause the most pain/delay. *curses the antenna motor on my integra last night*
Akira-R
Club Member

Postby alltracman78 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:11 pm

I've never tuned a EMS, but I could certainly wire one in. Also, I've rebuilt engines, as well as anything else on the car.
I do everything myself except machine work and most body work.
I'm pretty much self taught. I read alot of stuff, and have tore more than one extra part into a million pieces to see how it works and goes back together.

At this point I would be afraid to take it almost anywhere. I feel like I'm handing my wife off to a bunch of rapists whenever I do [alignment and such].....
alltracman78
GTFour God

Next

Return to Club Chat