Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

smog7

toayoztan":3p374nj2 said:
SuperWhite92":3p374nj2 said:
Good old internet, huh folks?

I agree, it's a good idea, but there's a lot of people on this board that no longer do write ups because nobody seems to care or take notice except for the people who are already in the know. I know writeups were plentiful on the last version of the board, but none of them got transferred over here, not to mention that a lot of threads get lost with the new software.

Or perhaps we can't get mods to sticky good/important/diy/faq threads.

As for my take on the main matter of this thread, i say if other sites want to use our information, let them. I'm sure they contribute in their own way too, but I do just fine being here and other forums. I guess in a way, it's a network of information. How do you know that half the things that half of us said didn't come from elsewhere?

I say keep doing what we do here, and that's helping each other out. I don't worry about who reads my posts. I personally don't mind if not a single member or person reads my post, but I know it's there to help those that may need it.

Bryan

what exactly do our mods do? it seems as though half of them dont even post anything... their will always be new alltrac owners with questions. we need more write up stickys!

grip addict

no way should we privatize. for one thing, that would severly kill off any prospetive buyers of cars and goods. i bought my car from someone on this webby, and wouldn't have if i couldn't get on here for free. i'm not planning on joining gt4oc because i don't feel like paying... and i'd hate for alltrac.net to be the same way. besides, robert owns the site anyways, and why would he privatize it? it would cut out business for 935...

there are private toyota websites out there, by the way...

Stubble

Unfortunately, a business that is going to make several hundred dollars working on an Alltrac is in the best position to afford whatever sign up fee is charged. That won't fix that problem.

I'll try to find Dennis Heath's write up on his feelings when GT4OC went private. Basically, he was pissed off that all the good info that he contributed, free of charge and to be read free of charge, was now locked away by GT4OC.

sims

on this topic, and on the topic of new alltrac owners(Myself) is they any way to get back the wealth of knowledge that was on the previous forums back here?

I'm willing to search for information, but our search seriously sucks, with enought searching I can find most of the stuff that I want, but there are often 50 pages of threads that come on up a simple topic.

I would LOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEE to get some of the sticky's and writeup's of the past back for us newbies.

Highway

sims":3au2oa2d said:
on this topic, and on the topic of new alltrac owners(Myself) is they any way to get back the wealth of knowledge that was on the previous forums back here?

I'm willing to search for information, but our search seriously sucks, with enought searching I can find most of the stuff that I want, but there are often 50 pages of threads that come on up a simple topic.

I would LOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEE to get some of the sticky's and writeup's of the past back for us newbies.

Start with doing a search for any subject you are curious about. and if you cant find it, just ask....

theUNYTEDone

well well...i suppose i can relatet this information-stealing dilemma to my days of graffiti. back when i was hard into it, i would slap my name on various surfaces, only to later find it covered over with paint or crossed out with another writer's name. this pissed me off, but then again, why was i writing in the first place? to be heard. we are being heard when people take our information elsewhere. it is most definitely, a shame that no one give's credit, but i could almost guarantee it that it's just the people's laziness factor. granted, there are going to be those bitches that when asked where the information gained is from, will say "oh, i knew it from before" or something along those lines...we cant really avoid those.

however, i say keeping it unprivatized would be a "the good outweighs the bad" type of deal.

....and one last thing, what's a wiki? :cry: :doh:

WarTowels

I've been to a few Celica forums, which I will leave unnamed. However the only one I check regularly is Alltrac.net

This is the only forum I actively check and nubbishly pollute.

I come here on an almost day to day basis and read about my dream car. I just want to say that everyone here, almost, has been extremely nice, helpful, and knowledgeable. :)

I love the site, and it keeps me happy till I get my very own Alltrac.

Don't make it private!

-Towels

killer_siller

there was a guy on here that was taking stickies, and write-ups, and posting them up on what could have been considered a wiki. i can't remember what his name was, or what the name of the "wiki" was, but it was going REALLY well for a while, and i haven't heard anything of it in a little bit. it was named AT** as in all-trac something-something. like all-trac info archive, or something stupid like that. anyone remember it?

i DEFINATELY want to know what happened to it.

coyoteboy

Well I'm going to start adding to mine purely as a method of keeping track of all the info ive found/generated. Anyone can feel free to add if they like.

Mr. Sociable

I didn't see it suggested...

But how about a PRIVATE writeup forum that only members can acess to help us noobs (read:me) out. The rest can stay public.

I'm not sure if you can do that or not, but I don't see why it wouldn't work since the general concern seems to be with businesses taking information from individuals on here, and that could help at the very least.

:shrug:

SeanGTS

allblackalltrac":1asy7nii said:
I used to have a mentality that some "other" GTFour forums were elitist by having they're board members pay a fee just to join. Some might even argue that even this board has a some what snobby attitude when compared to other boards.

I don’t know maybe I’m just talking out of my ass here but when I start seeing threads linked directly to threads on this board from other boards or plagiarised information and pictures without any credit giving or permission asked of the creator I get very upset.

I also know for a fact that several "businesses" used this board as a resource for information when taking on a job for a client that they have absolutely no experience with and rely souly on the information gathered by these boards’ members, without any credit ever being mentioned.

Suffice to say I am no longer going to contribute any factual threads that can be read by the general public. I’m sorry I know that might be selfish of me but I have been here a long time and contributed a lot and I never asked for anything in return but when I see my word plagiarised that’s when I put my foot down.

Again I don’t know maybe I’m just getting old but I can now see why a lot of the "senior" or "experienced" members stopped posting. Im always contradicting myself so I'll probably change my tune in a few weeks but I would pay to have a private area of the board - I'm seriously thinking about starting up my own website.

Yep, that is the elitist arrogant attitude!

Do you have actual links? I find your post rather comical.

coyoteboy

MR S- You cant prevent businesses signing up as an individual and accessing the "PRIVATE" section mentioned and using that.

I paid to join the OC and to be honest - £20 was WELL worth it, there was so much info there but then if you start charging for peoples info - who benefits? In the OC many people benefited as the club got large discounts to events etc which were passed on to the members. The problem is that as soon as you charge for it you a) stop newbies from seeing exactly how useful the site is and b) the people who pay for it will want a say in how its run and you'll be amazed how complex running a club is.

_________
Defn:
Plagiarism is the practice of claiming, or implying, original authorship, or incorporating material from someone else's written or creative work in whole or in part, into ones own, without adequate acknowledgment.
________

Surely a link to the original post is perfect acknowledgement? What you like - paying for it?

Mr. Sociable

coyoteboy":1x2lji4k said:
MR S- You cant prevent businesses signing up as an individual and accessing the "PRIVATE" section mentioned and using that.

True...this slipped my mind. I still can't say that I would want to pay for the site though. :shrug:

coyoteboy

Of course, no-one wants to pay for it :D Not for freely donated information. The thing people (like the OP) miss is that you dont really pay for the info/forums on most club sites,you pay for membership to a club and all the gubbins that go with it. Its not like those clubs are stealing the info and charging for it - if its already out there on the 'net they can do what they like for it. Locking it away and charging for it will just make more people start again and launch another free site and the circle starts again - its stupid.

Flyin' Bryan

killer_siller":1e6vbayl said:
there was a guy on here that was taking stickies, and write-ups, and posting them up on what could have been considered a wiki. i can't remember what his name was, or what the name of the "wiki" was, but it was going REALLY well for a while, and i haven't heard anything of it in a little bit. it was named AT** as in all-trac something-something. like all-trac info archive, or something stupid like that. anyone remember it?

i DEFINATELY want to know what happened to it.

IIRC that was David (Coding Paradox) and it was called Trac-Faq. Sadly there is nothing left of it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050428175307/tracfaq.nw-celica.com/wiki/run.php?iRequest=wiki/ViewPage <- Internet archive

alltrac.net

Ever since the beginning, I always wanted the website to be free and informative.

Back before forums were wildly popular, I would spend hours making write up web pages with pics and putting them on the public domain. We are all here to help each other.

Some forums try to "hide" information, which I have always hated. Ever found an informative link through google, only to be hit with a registration page? OUCH!

Would you really want someone to register just to answer a burning question? If you don't want to help people, that is no problem, because there are always other people willing to do so.

Stubble

First, 3 cheers for Robert for keeping this site going all these years.

Second, gt4oc.co.uk privatised a couple of years ago. Here is the post I dug up from Dennis Heath (for those that don't know, one of the original alltrac pioneers. Check out his website too). This is from the gt4 mailing list on yahoogroups. Basically, it all started when Dennis realized that gt4oc.com was charging new members 20 quid to join. This is after it had been free for many years. His concern is that he posted to that site frequently, and received/receives nothing in return, with nothing asked for.
---------------------

Now that really bugs me, and I mean really!!! I don't mean to sound
conceited, but I put a LOT of info onto the web through my site and
mailing lists. I was a guinea pig sooo many times I can't count, and to
this day I have not made a single dime on any of the info I shared. Now
let's throw in all the other names who have been pioneers and freely
shared info over the years.............is gt4oc gonna give me or them a
cut of the loot?!?!

I think we need to set an exmaple here. If gt4oc thrives, then this will
spread like a disease (which is good way to describe charging for
something you don't even provide!) Right now there are a few GT4 forums,
so imagine if everyone charged U.S. $35.00. Just between the gt4 list,
gt4 v2.0, alltrac.net, and gt4oc, that's a nice U.S. $140.00 you have to
shell out for 'maybe' getting the info you want, cause I'm willing to
bet that gt4oc is NOT giving you a garuntee that you WILL get an answer
to any gt4 related question. Jeez, I'm now on 12 WRX related forums, I'd
have to shell out U.S. $420.00 if they all charged that amount.

Bottom line, if you don't want to end up having to pay to be on every
forum, you NEED to boycott the ones that charge. Don't feed the monster
and it will die!! Remember people, this isn't coming from someone who
hasn't ever contributed to the gt4 community, so hopefully it will mean
something.

Dennis
1990 Toyota Celica GT-Four
2001 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
http://member.newsguy.com/~gtfour