General Chat

Privatise AllTrac.net??

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 46

Postby coyoteboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Good idea. I can start a wiki no probs if people think it might be a good idea and actually use it. I have one running for kitesurfing and no-one can be arsed contributing :(
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
'91 ST185 ATA.Megasquirted, MHG,SSAC 3" DP, fully wrapped 2.75 inch system,K&N,Forge DV, JDM ST205 turbo&transmission,JDM MR2 turbo engine.
http://www.gt4ec.net << The GTFour Enthusiasts Club
coyoteboy
Club Member

Postby SuperWhite92 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:14 pm

We already tried a wiki. Nobody paid attention to the fact that it was there, and so not much got added to it over time. It was really a lost cause.

Furthering my point that nobody seems to notice important things on this site.
Shaun
My 1992 Alltrac is for sale again.
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Postby Highway » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:23 pm

Who pays the bills for the site? URL Registration, Server space, who uses their time to moderate and keep the board functional? Then it’s your call. I would gladly donate to keep the board functional. It is a wonderful source of information/community. Perhaps lock some of the technical threads or allow viewing just the headers.

Contradictory I do reference other sites also, the BGB online has been a life saver.... Tough call
. :shrug:
Cheers! Highway

former car....Red 91 ST185 AllTrac # 666 "SATAN"
Greddy Turbo, Blitz ECU, RC/CS upgrades....+++
now a 97 BMW 840CI...I miss the AT!
Highway
Established Member

Postby coyoteboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:30 pm

I can do it cheap and free with a free subdomain (I have a blank one at www.alltrac.hobby-site.com as we speak) that can be changed however you like, its all hosted on my own server. But since no-one appears to want to use it theres little point. You cant create an informational site based on a forum though, its just the wrong way - even with locked threads it becomes messy and hard to find info.
'91 ST185 ATA.Megasquirted, MHG,SSAC 3" DP, fully wrapped 2.75 inch system,K&N,Forge DV, JDM ST205 turbo&transmission,JDM MR2 turbo engine.
http://www.gt4ec.net << The GTFour Enthusiasts Club
coyoteboy
Club Member

Postby smog7 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:52 pm

SuperWhite92 wrote:Good old internet, huh folks?

I agree, it's a good idea, but there's a lot of people on this board that no longer do write ups because nobody seems to care or take notice except for the people who are already in the know. I know writeups were plentiful on the last version of the board, but none of them got transferred over here, not to mention that a lot of threads get lost with the new software.

more write ups please....
-omar
my car doesn't leak oil, it just marks its territory
rally tarmac 1990 st185
smog7
GTFour God

Postby smog7 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:57 pm

toayoztan wrote:
SuperWhite92 wrote:Good old internet, huh folks?

I agree, it's a good idea, but there's a lot of people on this board that no longer do write ups because nobody seems to care or take notice except for the people who are already in the know. I know writeups were plentiful on the last version of the board, but none of them got transferred over here, not to mention that a lot of threads get lost with the new software.

Or perhaps we can't get mods to sticky good/important/diy/faq threads.

As for my take on the main matter of this thread, i say if other sites want to use our information, let them. I'm sure they contribute in their own way too, but I do just fine being here and other forums. I guess in a way, it's a network of information. How do you know that half the things that half of us said didn't come from elsewhere?

I say keep doing what we do here, and that's helping each other out. I don't worry about who reads my posts. I personally don't mind if not a single member or person reads my post, but I know it's there to help those that may need it.

Bryan

what exactly do our mods do? it seems as though half of them dont even post anything... their will always be new alltrac owners with questions. we need more write up stickys!
-omar
my car doesn't leak oil, it just marks its territory
rally tarmac 1990 st185
smog7
GTFour God

Postby grip addict » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:53 am

no way should we privatize. for one thing, that would severly kill off any prospetive buyers of cars and goods. i bought my car from someone on this webby, and wouldn't have if i couldn't get on here for free. i'm not planning on joining gt4oc because i don't feel like paying... and i'd hate for alltrac.net to be the same way. besides, robert owns the site anyways, and why would he privatize it? it would cut out business for 935...

there are private toyota websites out there, by the way...
i need to warn everyone-
ATSAaron wrote:You specifically told Matt that "some kid dumped sand into my motor."

don't let some kid dump sand into your motor.
grip addict
Established Member

Postby Stubble » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:57 am

Unfortunately, a business that is going to make several hundred dollars working on an Alltrac is in the best position to afford whatever sign up fee is charged. That won't fix that problem.

I'll try to find Dennis Heath's write up on his feelings when GT4OC went private. Basically, he was pissed off that all the good info that he contributed, free of charge and to be read free of charge, was now locked away by GT4OC.
Brady Ryall
1990 ST185 Red - parts
1990 ST185 Black
1999 Miata
2008 A3 Quattro S-line
Stubble
Established Member

Postby sims » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:35 am

on this topic, and on the topic of new alltrac owners(Myself) is they any way to get back the wealth of knowledge that was on the previous forums back here?

I'm willing to search for information, but our search seriously sucks, with enought searching I can find most of the stuff that I want, but there are often 50 pages of threads that come on up a simple topic.

I would LOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEE to get some of the sticky's and writeup's of the past back for us newbies.
sims
Club Member

Postby Highway » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:39 am

sims wrote:on this topic, and on the topic of new alltrac owners(Myself) is they any way to get back the wealth of knowledge that was on the previous forums back here?

I'm willing to search for information, but our search seriously sucks, with enought searching I can find most of the stuff that I want, but there are often 50 pages of threads that come on up a simple topic.

I would LOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEE to get some of the sticky's and writeup's of the past back for us newbies.

Start with doing a search for any subject you are curious about. and if you cant find it, just ask....
Cheers! Highway

former car....Red 91 ST185 AllTrac # 666 "SATAN"
Greddy Turbo, Blitz ECU, RC/CS upgrades....+++
now a 97 BMW 840CI...I miss the AT!
Highway
Established Member

Postby theUNYTEDone » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:50 am

well well...i suppose i can relatet this information-stealing dilemma to my days of graffiti. back when i was hard into it, i would slap my name on various surfaces, only to later find it covered over with paint or crossed out with another writer's name. this pissed me off, but then again, why was i writing in the first place? to be heard. we are being heard when people take our information elsewhere. it is most definitely, a shame that no one give's credit, but i could almost guarantee it that it's just the people's laziness factor. granted, there are going to be those bitches that when asked where the information gained is from, will say "oh, i knew it from before" or something along those lines...we cant really avoid those.

however, i say keeping it unprivatized would be a "the good outweighs the bad" type of deal.

....and one last thing, what's a wiki? :cry: :doh:
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God

Postby Gary » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:25 am

....and one last thing, what's a wiki? :cry: :doh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
93 ST185
Gary
GTFour God

Postby eddie_gt4 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:11 am

Gary wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

btw, there's an article about Celica :)
but I see some imprecisons concerning gen.5 Celica :D
'90 Toyota Celica turbo 4WD ST185 - ex
'96 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205 - now
eddie_gt4
Club Member

Postby WarTowels » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:13 am

I've been to a few Celica forums, which I will leave unnamed. However the only one I check regularly is Alltrac.net

This is the only forum I actively check and nubbishly pollute.

I come here on an almost day to day basis and read about my dream car. I just want to say that everyone here, almost, has been extremely nice, helpful, and knowledgeable. :)

I love the site, and it keeps me happy till I get my very own Alltrac.

Don't make it private!

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby killer_siller » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:08 pm

there was a guy on here that was taking stickies, and write-ups, and posting them up on what could have been considered a wiki. i can't remember what his name was, or what the name of the "wiki" was, but it was going REALLY well for a while, and i haven't heard anything of it in a little bit. it was named AT** as in all-trac something-something. like all-trac info archive, or something stupid like that. anyone remember it?

i DEFINATELY want to know what happened to it.
killer_siller
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Club Chat