new celica Rumored: with GT-Four Flavor!

CMS-GT4

Toyota has no fear of bastardizing the gtfour name, hence the caldina. So I would expect them to use that at least on this new venture if it happens.

toayoztan

eddie_gt4":1erl0cgs said:
heads up, it won't be a Toyota Celica, it'll be Subayota Celiceza :doh:

cause Toyota Celica + Subaru Impreza = Subayota Celiceza :lol:

Or a Toyaru Celiza STi-Four.

I personally think Toyota is just jumping on some kind of band wagon. The general public knows the name STi well and its performance. They also know how poorly the 7gen celica did overall. Stick in the subaru guts with a Toyota badge, and they make money. I don't believe Toyota is doing what we want to see...they haven't in years.

In my opinion, I think this is going to head south, really quick. But Toyota most likely doesn't care about the opinions of an "old school" alltrac owner who doesn't have the money and isn't willing to put down the money for that new car. They care about the opinions of many many more who WILL put down the money for this...well their mommy and daddy anwyay.

Bryan

ummmiono

yup. what happened to toyota? the hachi-roku,all-trac,supra,and mr2 all gone. toyota used to be badass now theyre all about hybrids and boxes. truly sad.

Wicked Toys

Well I just got home from the Motor Trend International Auto show and one of the mission's while I was there was to talk to a Toyota or Subaru representative. I did speak to a Regional Rep for Subaru and all he gave we was in there monthly meetings that talk comes up about a new Toyota/Subaru Venture not known of a name but with a 2 Door Coupe Platform with AWD n Turbo of course. He said it's definately in the works its just a matter of where the car is going to be built since toyota is running out of room. Hence why Subaru Plants builds Camry's.

But thats all I got........

Dracov

If I find one sitting in a showroom floor and the hapless sales jock doesn't balk when I insist on a test drive up in the mountains on old logging trails, then I can believe in such rumours.

Until then, I'll use my Alltrac for that, just as it should be.

jlspec

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20080210/auto/auto2.html

The new celica is starting to sound pretty cool. I don't mind that it's going to be using the STI engine and transmission just as long as toyota put some thought into it that will improve the durability of the new Celica. I just hope they don't use that cheap interior found in the 2000+ celica and revert back to quaility like the 90 to 99 versions. One of the reasons I don't like these new 4-wheel drive Turbo 4 is it being a 4-door, and with the celica we can at least have the 2-door hatch that we all grew up with.

Letze

I want a stronger trans, subi is known for their house of glass transfer cases...

but even a flat 4 I'd drive it the interior of that thing is just too out there for me

+ it looks like one of those random ass slushbox mixups

ummmiono

so i guess this is probably gonna happen huh? nothings for sure though. i just wish toyota had the quality and durability it used to. i not sure i like the boxer in the celica eventhough i love boxers and subies. whats up with the electric motors in the wheels? im sure that will be one of the first things to go in the mod list. better start buying as many all-tracs and parts as you can before this thing drops.

RedCelicaTRD

Letze":x5d65sqn said:
I want a stronger trans, subi is known for their house of glass transfer cases...

The 6-speed STi transmissions are alot stronger then the previous 5-speed. They don't break nearly as easy as the 5-speed.

silence

I am anxious to see what happens with this.... I think it is a good step for Toyota... it doesn't matter whether what they build is mostly a Toyota or a Subaru, at least they are beginning to think about performance again.

TheAutoholic

silence":2fge89wa said:
I am anxious to see what happens with this.... I think it is a good step for Toyota... it doesn't matter whether what they build is mostly a Toyota or a Subaru, at least they are beginning to think about performance again.
Yeah, I am anxious to see Toyota back in rallying, if that is where they are aiming. But if everyone else is gonna drop out, and Toyota is going to replace Subaru, then who is going to compete with them in the WRC? :doh:

CMS-GT4

If Toyota returned to Rally I bet they would run them side by side.

Remember when Mitsu ran the Evo with the Lancer in the same events. I imagine something like that.