Thinking about an alltrac.....

turbo4wd

Well it seems like there are a few currently for sale, just depends on how clean you want it, how much you want to pay, and how far you want to travel..

A quick look in the "for sale" threads might be a good place to start.. :wink:

tissimo

turbo4wd":2o3jp0q0 said:
Well it seems like there are a few currently for sale, just depends on how clean you want it, how much you want to pay, and how far you want to travel..

A quick look in the "for sale" threads might be a good place to start.. :wink:
haha yea, I would like to fly there and drive back and fairly clean.. i have my eye on the fs section and ebay..

935motorsports

I recognize that name :)

You can get lucky on ST185s, but they are a little heavy. You have to usually spend some money on the suspension as they are mostly toast. Then you get into power mods and you have to spend more on moving around the hefty body.

We are both MK3 enthusiasts. So coming from that perspective the best part about the all trac is the natural handling ability and the sleeper effect. Most people do not give Celicas a 2nd look (except for the scoop), and it is perfect for flying under the radar.

If you are going for purely straight line performance, it is not the way to go, if you are sane.

My advise, do not get a 90 ST185. They are almost always beat to death. At least start from a 91 up. I see you have a 92, which is the upper level. Think of a 90 ST185 sort of like an 87 supra. Almost always beat on. 91 ST185 would be sort of like an 89+ as far as condition (usually). A 92 or 93 ST185 is like the 91-92 supra. Lower numbers, kind of elite, and mostly in better condition.

C'mon Rob - Do not forgo 1990's, there are plenty of beat 93's out there also. Look for one that has had it maintenance done and forget about the year. Hell my blue 90 is more rare then any 93 .... :)

And if you are OK with the weight of a Gen III supra then a ST185 definitely is not going to bother you. The ST165's have piles of problems the ST185 dont (cracking heads, turbos, rusting, bad climate control units, rust ... did
I mention rust)

Sorry for the rant but honestly Rob ...

Hotrodhendrix

Please no more mr2 vs alltrac talk... Its been said over and over. We all know the answer. Mr2=faster on dry roads. Alltrac= rare, faster on wet anything and anything but streets, plus there so darn cool. :smokes:

tissimo

Haha, yea. Not really pure straight line performance. I want to do road racing as well. Still trying to find the right balanced setup to build towards. I do want some power to move me around though (supra had me spoiled). Trying to decided between a gt30r or gt35r. Gt30r would be more of the road race setup with a broad powerband but the gt35r will give me that power for the straights and less response out of the turns.

But I've always loved these cars ever since I had my first car (83 celica GTS). I wanted to get one before I got my supra, but didn't have the money back then. After going through 4 supras, I decided it was time for something new. I dont really like the MR2s that much, and the weight doesn't bother me too much (same as a sti or evo or any other awd car for the most part)

Yea, i would love to get the a 93 (i am an elitest sort of because i had to have a 92 supra, haha), but currently looking at getting a 90. Its in very good condition and the price is where I want to spend. Hopefully if all goes well I'll have it in 2 weeks (flight flys up next friday, woo!)

Cant wait, all ready have a list of parts I want to buy, but dont want to rush too fast. Going to take it slow and see what the max i can get ouf the stock turbo. My VERY ambitious goals are 230awhp, and 13.5 in the 1/4 (hp #s dont matter as much as the 1/4 mile time, looking for high 90mph trap). Haha, we'll see.