So I remember reading about 165s being the fastest...

TheAutoholic

That in 1988 that All Trac was the fastest production car to be imported from Japan. Or maybe the 1986 ST165 was the fastest production car in Japan. I don't remember exactly, but it was something like that.

etantshi

Maybe for a short time in 86, but after the mkIII supra was released and exported in the turbo trim for 87 it was game over.

eddie_gt4

maybe not the fastest, but still afaik ST165 was the first Japanese car with turbo engine and permanent 4WD system

Tazka

eddie_gt4":11grmzsm said:
maybe not the fastest, but still afaik ST165 was the first Japanese car with turbo engine and permanent 4WD system
That's allready something. 8)

eddie_gt4

Tazka":32v2r8mn said:
eddie_gt4":32v2r8mn said:
ok, when I say car, I mean sports car 8) :D
cause Subaru offered turbo AWD wagons some years before the arrival of ST165...

TheAutoholic

etantshi":39htypru said:
Maybe for a short time in 86, but after the mkIII supra was released and exported in the turbo trim for 87 it was game over.
Thats what I was thinking... I thought that it might have been the fastest Japanese car imported into America for a year, but I don't know. I don't remember where I read it, maybe it was some All Trac fan boy site, who knows. I know it was faster than the RX7 until '88 when they got faster, and the Nissans weren't quick that year.

TheAutoholic

eddie_gt4":2723ro7m said:
Tazka":2723ro7m said:
eddie_gt4":2723ro7m said:

The Subaru XT was turbo and awd starting in 1985. Missed it by one year.

darthripley

was it faster than a '88 MR2 Supercharged? :shrug:
i know the MR2 only had 145hp & 145tq stock, but it does have a bit of a weight advantage over a ST165.

etantshi

By 88 I'm sure it had lost its title as the fastest, but I dunno if it was number two or not. Someone look up the old car and driver stats on the two.

eddie_gt4

TheAutoholic":1ojfc04l said:
eddie_gt4":1ojfc04l said:
Tazka":1ojfc04l said:
eddie_gt4":1ojfc04l said:

afaik XT turbo was only part time AWD :p

built2run

The 300Z wasn't so fast in 86 and i beat a stock 88 rx7 when i had just fixed my car and he only had 56K on the rx7 but only by a less than half a car length. and i do second the fact that the old mk1 supercharged mr2 did have a better power to weight ratio... damn i hate realizing things like that.

TheAutoholic

eddie_gt4":2b6qmlww said:
TheAutoholic":2b6qmlww said:
Tazka":2b6qmlww said:

afaik XT turbo was only part time AWD :p
At first it was part time, yes, but that is still turbo AWD before Toyota. Audi started selling, and racing, their turbo AWD "Quattro" in 1980, though...

WarTowels

I dunno, the 84 300zx was the fastest import for that year... it was faster than the corvette of the same year also. 84-89 all had the same essential specs.

300ZX:
RWD
Weight: 3,050 lbs
HP (SAE net): 200hp @ 5200rpm
Torque (SAE net): 227 lbs-ft @ 3600 rpm
Quarter Mile: 15.44 sec @ 89.5 mph
Top Speed: 137 mph

ST165:
AWD
Weight: 3270 lb (with options)
Horse Power: 190@6000 Rpm
Torque: 190 lb/ft@3200 Rpm
Quarter Mile: 15.6 Sec @ 88 Mph
Top Speed: 135 Mph

Game over. :wink:

-Towels

vpunk

Are we comparing v6s and v4s? I read somewhere st165 was the fastest 4 cylinder car until 1990 :shrug: