Side tower brace?

Denver_whiteST185

take off your fender, measure an approximate length between those two points. get a long piece of 3-4" wide & .25" thick steel, mock it up, cut it to fit, and then drill it so it can mount up. it'll probably make everything easier if you have access to a drill press and a chop saw, but you could probably do it with a hack saw, cordless drill, and a dremel.

i don't know how effective it will be, but that much steel shouldn't cost too much and just powdercoat it when your done so you won't have to worry about rust issues.

Terracar

I agree too much $$.

I guess I was more curious what function does it actually serve? I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around the purpose/function of the device

I guess I will need to pull one of Shorty's fenders off just to see.

I just don't see the gain to be had with the brace, unless that section of the unibody is prone to flexing

-Terra

darthripley

if you're using the car for road racing/rallying i can almost see making something like that yourself like how denverwhite said.

it might help turn in slightly and body roll on hard cornering but i think its pretty impractical for street use unless you just want it to have it sort of a thing.

Denver_whiteST185

subaru guys seem to think fender braces are the shit. WRX's come with a set from the factory and there are several upgrades out there for them.

i would think it would just keep it a little sturdier. nothing a new brace couldn't hurt.

Dracov

I can see how it would help front end rigidity, since that area is a point of chassis flex, between the firewall and the strut tower. I'd go for a set myself, especially seeing how much that area flexes when jacking the front end up. :/