best octan booster

wizzards581

octane booster make less power. i read it in an article in a racing magazine while back i cant remember. outcome was loss of couple hp on the dyno.

Simba

Yes, I even did an analysis of it with a gas chromatograph. It's a MMT-based booster (manganese).

Short version: Yes, it works, and can raise 93 into the 100+ range with one can. However, it contains a lot of metals and raises octane in a similar fashion to how tetraethyl lead works, so I would not use it if you have a cat, and it's a good idea to check your o2 sensors periodically if you use it regularly.

This stuff is not to be confused with aromatic hydrocarbon-based boosters that use toluene or xylene, and effectively do nothing.

Kcman91gts

Yeah those things are pretty much hit and miss from what i hear anyway i know alot of the ricers around here put that shit in their tank because they think they get like 20 more hp per bottle they use .

id prefer to just buy a high octane gas rather than risk damaging or clogging anything.

st185rc

ah, that's why i love 5th gear over topgear. they have information i can actually use. sure, topgear is more entertaining but there's no real useful information for the daily driver

TomsGT4

^^ yeah man, what's the price of toluene these days at the local paint store?
With gas prices the way they are, might be worth it.

soundmangt4

WarTowels":10g36i6b said:
If you check out youtube, there was a fifth gear episode that discussed octane boosters, most made less power.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcCr2ll3c

-Towels

Yes, but they added the worst brand octane boosters to an old carburetor engined car and did nothing else. There was never going to be any other outcome. A small bottle cannot add any calorific energy to the fuel to make any more power.
However, if you use a decent booster like Millers, Silkolene, NF, and do something to take advantage of the different properties of the fuel by advancing the ignition timing slightly, then it can and does add power. FACT.

A full bottle of NF booster to half a tank of fuel can mean up to 5 or 6 degrees of extra advance, which is substantial power.

AWDios

TomsGT4":2ebrnnz8 said:
^^ yeah man, what's the price of toluene these days at the local paint store?
With gas prices the way they are, might be worth it.

Haven't bought any recently since my trac is out of commission, but I didn't use it to boost from normal to premium (not worth the price difference) just used it to boost premium a bit for autox or any time I ran the car hard.

gt4rcdude

When I installed the Blitz Access ECU the car would pull timing at full boost. I put in "NOS" 60 pt octane boost and it no longer pulls timing. Pulls like a race horse.

WarTowels

soundmangt4":2rx3knxe said:
WarTowels":2rx3knxe said:
If you check out youtube, there was a fifth gear episode that discussed octane boosters, most made less power.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcCr2ll3c

-Towels

Yes, but they added the worst brand octane boosters to an old carburetor engined car and did nothing else. There was never going to be any other outcome. A small bottle cannot add any calorific energy to the fuel to make any more power.
However, if you use a decent booster like Millers, Silkolene, NF, and do something to take advantage of the different properties of the fuel by advancing the ignition timing slightly, then it can and does add power. FACT.

A full bottle of NF booster to half a tank of fuel can mean up to 5 or 6 degrees of extra advance, which is substantial power.

I guess you missed the brand in question on the first post, "Octanium".

Sounds mean!

Also, from everything I've read, advancing timing doesn't produce much gains, unless it's a highly modified engine.

-Towels

Dracov

I just mix 50/50 premium and E85 in the tank...largely to hedge against fuel costs, but the resultant 97 octane isn't a bad side effect. :)

TomsGT4

AWDios":rk7eujtd said:
Haven't bought any recently since my trac is out of commission, but I didn't use it to boost from normal to premium (not worth the price difference) just used it to boost premium a bit for autox or any time I ran the car hard.

94 octane has done well for me until now. I'm just seeing what I can get out of her when I want to run her hard also.
Oh and tell you what, when your car & my car are back in commission I'll cheers ya for a beer.

Hotrodhendrix

gt4rcdude":1weh88ac said:
When I installed the Blitz Access ECU the car would pull timing at full boost. I put in "NOS" 60 pt octane boost and it no longer pulls timing. Pulls like a race horse.

I will have to remember that. Just in case mine does the same..

celica_gtx

i always pondered about adding a splash of my nitro fuel
from my R/C car in the car...

would that be a good idea...
that fuel is a whole new level so i didnt wanna put sum in..
wut do u guys think..
im talking a just a lil bit...
1/4 of a pint to a full tank?

Simba

celica_gtx":1lr2yhji said:
i always pondered about adding a splash of my nitro fuel
from my R/C car in the car...

Nitromethane in any significant concentrations will do very bad things to your mixture, and anything resembling a rubber hose.

Corey

DONT put that stuff in your car.

Ben and I (my co-worker) jokingly put 2 jugs into his POS "danger ranger"

Had to siphon it back out :oops: lol