curious newbie

schermer

Well, I'm looking to get a cheap car (more specifically my first car) and I found an alltrac in my area that needs some work:

http://nh.craigslist.org/car/735657333.html

Without thinking about that specific Celica, are all-tracs in general a bad idea for someone that doesn't know much about working on cars. Living in New England the all wheel drive sounds nice, but i really dont have much money.

Is this going to be a lot in terms of upkeep?

are parts expensive?

Is work complicated?- It'd be great if i could buy a car that i could learn how to work on cars on.

solarinsocal

If you really don't have a lot of money to throw at a car or cannot do the work yourself, any older model turbo car should probably not be on your short list. Great car, needs a lot of love(money) especially ones that were not well taken care of. Good luck. :)

WarTowels

Cheap car? And you choose a 20 year old turbo car? That's all wheel drive?

:lol:

Sorry, but Alltrac and cheap should not ever be used in the same section.

And don't you think it's just a TAD suspicious that he changed the timing belt, water pump, clutch, and intake box... but he was too lazy to put some coolant hoses back on? Seems a little absurd to me...

I'd stay clear unless you change your aspect of the car as a cheap car, to a long term money soaking project. :wink:

-Towels

syko says

This is my first car and loving it. Yes, these cars (any old car for that matter) will need tender loving care. Parts can be expensive, but it really depends on the condition it is in now. It also depends on what you want to do with the car.

I say, if you can manage a bit of down time every now and then, slowly learn about the car, and start working on the easy simple things; you will come to appreciate what you have accomplished. Take in mind that this will come with a whole lot of frustration and broken bolts :p

EDIT:

I just saw the craigslist ad; wasnt this car for sale awhile ago... maybe a little over a year? I very much so remember the red interior.

schermer

WarTowels":fg48rozd said:
Cheap car? And you choose a 20 year old turbo car? That's all wheel drive?

:lol:

Sorry, but Alltrac and cheap should not ever be used in the same section.

And don't you think it's just a TAD suspicious that he changed the timing belt, water pump, clutch, and intake box... but he was too lazy to put some coolant hoses back on? Seems a little absurd to me...

I'd stay clear unless you change your aspect of the car as a cheap car, to a long term money soaking project. :wink:

-Towels

Hey, i ate at DQ with you...

Yeah, i figured he's trying to get rid of it, then take of to California while he hopes i won't have time to drive it.

well, One more car not to get. Anyone have suggestions for something else at least? I originally wanted a 2nd gen Mr2, but i cant find one around here. I was also told to look at integras, but i dont know a thing about them.

Dracov

It may just be me, but the photos clearly show that the engine isn't in the car, which to me is a bit suspicious.

Probably a good first car, really, would be a FWD Celica that's had moderately decent maintenance in its history. MR2's, even non-turbo's, are pricy to get. Except maybe an AW11, but it's hard to find one of those that hasn't been badly neglected.

syko: I bought my 165 a year ago almost exactly on here. Black with red interior just like that, except it was out in Utah. Maybe you were thinking of that one? :)

syko says

Dracov":y9b97ku1 said:
syko: I bought my 165 a year ago almost exactly on here. Black with red interior just like that, except it was out in Utah. Maybe you were thinking of that one? :)

It probably was. Not many black 165s with red interior. ya know?

smog7

If I was still looking for a first car I would check out b13, b14 se-r sentra's(fwd) and na miata's(rwd).

darthripley

i wouldn't suggest an AW11 or SW20 as a first car since its a Mid-Engine RWD platform which can be difficult to handle for an inexperienced driver in a panic/emergency situation, especially in snow/ice conditions.

what kind of budget you have to spend on a car will determine what we can try to suggest for you.

i'm unsure how much an older N/A Subaru Impreza might go for if you want something AWD.
otherwise the Sentra or FWD Celica are good choices to think about.

Rick89GTS

WarTowels":1oc65zgl said:
....And don't you think it's just a TAD suspicious that he changed the timing belt, water pump, clutch, and intake box... but he was too lazy to put some coolant hoses back on? Seems a little absurd to me...
That's what I thought too. I wouldn't trust that at all.

Terracar

I am going to have to agree with Dracov - there is no engine in the car in the pics.... would the real slim shady please stand up...

-Terracar

please stand up, please stand up, haha yeah i agree sounds like a scam in the makes. my bro just picked up a suburu lagacy awd sedan, very solid car, might wanna check those out, nice cars, boxer engine too! good stuff. I still will always love the Alltrac over anything tho :)

MrDB

Am i being thick but how does it show no engine in car. i can see its on axle stands hence why front is high but i cant see anything that would suggest its not got an engine in????

WarTowels

Hey, i ate at DQ with you...

Lmao. I totally didn't even look at your screen name. :lol:

For a first car- in HS- I'd personally look into (in order):

MR2 sw20 NA
Nissan 240sx
Nissan 300zx
Celica GT-S
Older Audi Quattro
Acura Integra
Mistu Eclipse

-Towels

schermer

WarTowels":28jnw7yx said:
Lmao. I totally didn't even look at your screen name. :lol:

For a first car- in HS- I'd personally look into (in order):

MR2 sw20 NA
Nissan 240sx
Nissan 300zx
Celica GT-S
Older Audi Quattro
Acura Integra
Mistu Eclipse

-Towels

I'd love a 2nd gen MR2, but i cant find any around here. The 300zx sounded like a great idea. I know my brother and you guys had another friend who has several of them. The only problem with the 300 is that it has no airbags, which are necessary to my parents.

All the cars I've found so far are either in horrible shape, sketchy as hell, or even worse: automatic. What about intergras? I really don't know anything about them.

turbo4wd

schermer":1j5ar8kt said:
What about intergras? I really don't know anything about them.

Integra's are the antithesis of Alltracs.. They're cheap to buy, cheap to own, easy to maintain, and there are tons of aftermarket parts available.

The engines are bulletproof if kept NA, and they're easy to make fast..

I thought about getting one myself as a daily driver..

Hotrodhendrix

+1 no mitsu. I love my VR4 but anything with that brand name is not built to last.

red 1990 celica gt coupe (the memories)

Brand names to look at:
Toyota
Honda
Nissan

Look at n/a models. They are built with quality and get good mpg. The fun cars come later when you get some money.