thinking about stroker kits

alltracshoak

i've seen 2.2L kits for the 3sgte and building a 5s block with custom rods n piston. just curious why not make 2.4L kits? maybe stroking the 5s to 2.4L with a custom crank. maybe an option for those who are ballahs.

RafaCalde

i think the blocks by themselves are both equally as strong. i think i'm not sure. i also think they are both made of iron.

OlyST185

its all beefy stuff too, cast iron. but i would get job done on the crankshaft as well if the 5sfe one is used, it is said to be known for rod knock. gotta be carefull and get it balanced.

tw2

You wont increase top end power since you will be using the same head with the same valves and cams. I think there is just no real reason, you definitely wont be able to rev as high on the top end. If you are after torque try a 5vzfe

aus jd 2703

your best bet of a 2.4L imo is a caladina 3sgte with custom rod crank and pistons but thats$$$$ but strong block and oil squirter's (which the 5s lack).

capacity only effects off boost performance remember that.
also as said larger stroke less rpm therefor u may not be in boost window for as long. food for thought

RedCelicaTRD

In stock form, if all you did was add the stroker kit you will have an increase across the powerband. If you are at the power/flow limit of you head/cam setup or exhaust a/r size, you will not gain top end power but will gain lowend and midrange. Displacement does affect on-boost performance also since you have changed the amount of air can be pushed into the cylinder (as long as the head/turbo can flow it). Larger stoke does not mean lower RPM in our motors. With proper oiling, clearances, turbo and head setup you shouldn't have a problem revving to 9k with a stroker.

aus jd 2703

thanks now i think bout it you are right.
how notice able is the improvements in on boost performance if the head and exhaust can flow it?
cheers

RedCelicaTRD

It depends on the amount of mods you have done. If you have a car that makes 500hp you might pick up 50hp if the engine can flow it (since you have 10% more displacement you can get about 10% more power). So an engine that makes 200hp can gain about 20hp if everything goes well.

alltracshoak

the reason i ask was because if you were making 700+hp,wouldnt a larger displacement help?since 3s usually get stroke to 2.2 why shouldn't the 5s be stroked to 2.4 since it already came in 2.4 besides no one ever done it before

tissimo

alltracshoak":2tqfej3i said:
the reason i ask was because if you were making 700+hp,wouldnt a larger displacement help?since 3s usually get stroke to 2.2 why shouldn't the 5s be stroked to 2.4 since it already came in 2.4 besides no one ever done it before

You can, but it wouldn't be wise. The stroke of a 2.2 is all ready getting pretty high. You want to rev your engine high for more flow/hp and adding stroke decreases the r/s ratio as well as increases piston speed increasing the overall wear and stress of the engine.

tw2

The 3s and 5s blocks are very similar aren't they? I was under the impression they had exacty the same bore and the only difference was that the 5s had a longer stroke so it would be just as much of a challenge to stroke the 5s to 2.4L as taking the 3s to 2.4L.

Making 700+ hp it might help your spool and low/mid torque a little but it wont help your overall hp. If your making that much though swapping in a V6 wouldn't be very much of an extra hassle.

aus jd 2703

ok quick question
im considering my options ive saved up the $900 for forged rods and pistons and after looking at ats racing website i wanna know will they sell me a machined crank with matching rods and pistons? i know they do short blocks but th postage to Australia will kill me. so does any one know if they do?
my other option is the shop doing my crank work will grind the crank for me but they are good so thattll cost $$$$ just weighing my options before i put the $$ down