Toyota Coolant Red

Rick89GTS

Hey guys,

I just picked up a jug of Toyota Coolant Red, PN# C0009-00119.

WTF?! List price was CAD$28.43!!! OUCH.
Even with 20% off, it still came to C$21.60 (after taxes, it came to C$24.19)

Last year, it was like C$17 or so.
Why has the price of coolant gone up so much?

What are you guys paying for the red stuff in your areas?
(I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada)

darthripley

same thing happened to us when we got some suspension parts i told joe to pick up a couple of jugs while he was there.

last year w/our discount it was $14-15 per jug

this year w/our discount it was $20 per jug

not a huge increase for us, but still more than i was expecting.

Dracov

$33 for a gallon here. At the same time, Mountain States Toyota has ridiculously absurd prices...need to learn to stop going there.

Denver_whiteST185

when i was working at napa, one of the higher up guys mentioned something about the price of coolant going up significantly. i don't remember why, but i don't think its just toyota coolant...

88st165

wow thats outrageous! good thing i have a hookup at my local dealer and get it for free, esp since i have two running tracs.

mnwolftrack

I paid $25 a gallonabout a month ago. I'd continue to use the standard "green" stuff, but it doesn't even seem to exist anymore. Everything is now extended life and a funky color. I don't trust them....

Dano

I just bought some 5 year antifreeze for my pickup. It is compatible with other reg. antifreeze and was $16/ 4L (gallon) at both WalMart and Canadian Tire.

chkpnt

I'm sure that this has been discussed in the past but what is so special about the red Toyota coolant? I just use regular coolant and it works fine...

Rick89GTS

chkpnt":3quna4g1 said:
I'm sure that this has been discussed in the past but what is so special about the red Toyota coolant? I just use regular coolant and it works fine...
My understanding is that you can use the regular stuff as long as it's silicate-free. Silicates in Japanese cars causes more corrosion. Toyota Red is formulated silicate-free.

alltracman78

Silicates help to prevent corrosion.
Toyota red doesn't prevent corrosion as well with hard water because it doesn't have silicates in it [which is why it's more important to use distilled water with Toyota red].

However, according to Toyota silicates erode the water pump seals, so they don't want it in their engines.

Toyota tends to use pretty good quality stuff, so I'll keep running the red stuff.
It's amusing that some of you will spend extra money on oil changes to buy Mobil 1, or whatever preferred oil, but you won't spend the extra on coolant.

Rick89GTS

Thanks Alltracman78, I couldn't recall all the details; that helps clear things up for me. Canadian Tire's Motomaster coolant is also silicate-free, so that's a cheaper option.