oil in intake pipe?

kado1000

hey guys, i just found out this today, when I took off my maf pipe that connect to the turbo, it have some oil in it. I think it might be a seal that leak but not sure, anyway how hard is it to fix the turbo seal? or how much would it cost to rebuilt it.

LegacyofDan

the hose line that leads off from your head into your "intake pipe" that carries oil vapors, and will thus make your intake oily....if you install a catch can inline(between the line from the head and your "intake pipe") so that the oil condensates in the can and not your intake, that will prevent oil build up in your "intake pipe" and rest the way to your intake manifold

WarTowels

I would consider a puddle to be just that. A visible collection or pooling of oil.

My car has 213k, and I've never seen any puddling or drips. So I would considering seeing that bad, any oil is bad really. Its going to get sucked into the turbo and then the IC, ect.

-Towels

alltracman78

Even pudding and/or dripping out the hose isn't necessarily bad.
A healthy engine with good rings can put that much oil in the system, it depends on how much your boosting, the weight oil you use, ect.

Oil residue in your turbo and IC isn't a good thing, but if it's coming from the PCV system it's not a huge deal, though it will gunk up the intake manifold and everything with time.
With that said, I run a catch can so I don't have it in mine.

If you want to see where it's coming from, remove the PCV line, cap the port on your intake, and run it for a week or so.
If you still have oil in there, it's your turbo.
If not, it's your PCV.

Be careful where you direct the open end of the PCV line, it WILL blow/drool oil residue.

WarTowels

I'm not saying it bads like, catastrophic engine problems obviously.

But I think it's unarguable that oil in the intake is a good thing...

So to me, it's a pretty clear cut case that it's bad. Add an oil catch can, viola. No more problem.

-Towels

MixMaster

Is this what it looked like? My car doesn't blow any smoke, hasn't lost any huge amt oil and it doesn't SEEM like a I have a bad turbo. I thought I just needed a catch can. From what I understand this is normal, not catastrophic but should be avoided if possible with a catch can.

turbo-oil.jpg

mx6er2587

...so what if when you take your intake off you can fill a small cup with the oil in it... :twisted:

that damn turbo has no shaft play either. Maybe I'll see if I can find a seal kit for it and sell it for way more