ST215 Swap Q & A Plus CEL Codes

celi_wabbit

lumbercis":mrubyae5 said:
Wiring was done by Doug, aka mr220v

I had mine done by mr220v also with my 91 st185 to 4th gen swap. Besides me having had to rig the tach, I had no issue with wiring. I think he does a good job. When I had questions, he answered it as soon as he could.

UtahSleeper

Bump for a great thread and questions.

Can a st165 flywheel mount on the st215 motor?
Can I assume the 165 trans will work fine on this motor, in stock form.

Seriously considering getting a st215 motor and just dropping it in my trac so it can be driveable as the power it has is about all I want for awhile.

2RM

How do you manage to run coil on plug engine on a st-185 ECU? Whats your ignition set up?

2RM

Correct me if Im wrong, but is 215 turbo/ down pipe is one piece unit? Hot side of the turbo is a part of cat/down pipe? So there are no aftermarket performance turbo back exhausts available.

UtahSleeper

2RM":1bk056bg said:
Correct me if Im wrong, but is 215 turbo/ down pipe is one piece unit? Hot side of the turbo is a part of cat/down pipe? So there are no aftermarket performance turbo back exhausts available.

The turbo and manifold are one piece. The downpipe/cat bolt on to the turbo. I could have sworn I saw somewhere that someone made DP's that have the exhaust mount location the same as the original motors in these cars. If you make one, or if there is one available, you should be able to use currently available exhaust systems with the motor.

Here is a DP option. Not sure if it mounts to the stock exhaust, but atleast its not the heavy ass stock one.

http://drivenperformance.co.nz/products-page/dump-pipes/toyota-caldina-st215-st246-3sgte-dump-pipe/

UtahSleeper

2RM":n1yrstta said:
How do you manage to run coil on plug engine on a st-185 ECU? Whats your ignition set up?

I don't think this is possible since the 215 doesn't have a distributor. I thought most people were using the stock st215 ecu.

2RM

Wondering how the 205 swap compares to 215? Which one you think is more reasonable to do in to st-185? I understand that 215 ECU is a must, the stock 165/185 harness can be rewired by someone named "Doug" :D for around $450. What do you get in the end? The stock 215 engine is rated at around 260 hp, right? What else is there to watch out for with this swap? Assuming you doing just the engine and no trans... Do Caldinas come only with AT? or MT also can be sourced? Are those ECU hard to come by?

UtahSleeper

From what I understand, the 205 has more upgrade options then the 215. I imagine that will change as more people try and use the 215.

The 215 has a higher base HP, but from what I have read, the rods are a little weaker, so you can't push as much HP on the stock internals. I dont know what the estimated cap is, but for me I will be happy with 260 to start lol.

From what I can tell, the manual ECU's are hard to come by, but it seems people use the auto ECU's with no problems, so not alot of need to get one.