interior exhaust noise reduction

lalojamesliz

hey guys whats going on, so i want to reduce the exhaust noise inside my all-trac and found this stuff http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-...reme+bulk+pack
if i removed the factory sound deadener and installed this would it be quieter or would i have to put this over the factory stuff? my main goal is to quiet down the exhaust so i dont have to talk loud so my passengers can hear me plus i dont like the loud exhaust noise when my kids are inside. only the floor should need it right? thanks guys

lumbercis

What's your interior like now? Anything removed? What exhaust do you have? Is it contacting the subframes at all? Are all of your window and hatch seals good or are they dried out and cracked?

That dynamat creates a big sticky mess if you ever try to get it off. There shouldn't be that much noise transmitted to the cabin unless something else is wrong.

J

toayoztan

Yeah, loud exhaust systems will have a drone, but it shouldn't be to the effect where you can't hear the other passengers well. See if it's visibly contacting any part of the car except the hangers. What exhaust do u have?

Bryan

lalojamesliz

sorry about the late reply guys, ive been busy. i have a 3" full exhaust system from my down pipe back and its not rubbing on anything. im just comparing it to my 08 sequoia when i say i need to speak loud in my car. i have the full interior but when i went from my stock exhaust to my 3" system (with a high flow cat) with a vibrant 3" staright thru muffler it was ALOT louder inside :doh: i bought some Frost King foam and foil duct insulation that i saw online that people have good results with. ill post my results
http://www.lowes.com/pd_28929-1410-FV51 ... facetInfo=

lumbercis

did you use good gaskets on the exhaust? it's possible it's leaking from somewhere more to the front of the car and making more noise than it should in the cabin because of it?

lalojamesliz

the only gaskets in my exhaust is the downpipe tot he turbo and the downpipe to the midpipe and they dont feel like they let anything out when i have my hand close. i only bought 2 rolls of that frost king insulation and it was only enought to cover from the floor of the rear seats to the back panel. i have not taken my all-trac out for a drive yet because im debating if i should do it all the way up to the firewall or even the firewall also. plus driving to lowes now sucks since i moved further away

WarTowels

The problem is your muffler and you're trying to fix it with foam and sound deadening.

Why not just get a quieter muffler?

-Towels

fussellbug

You could probably make the noise more tolerable by adding a resonator into your exhaust system. They reduce the droning noise and raspy sounds.

lalojamesliz

WarTowels":3d5qgc0f said:
The problem is your muffler and you're trying to fix it with foam and sound deadening.

Why not just get a quieter muffler?

-Towels
i wanted a good high flow muffler and with me not knowing about mufflers i chose this one :doh:

mda185

lalojamesliz":29068mob said:
hey guys whats going on, so i want to reduce the exhaust noise inside my all-trac and found this stuff http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-...reme+bulk+pack
if i removed the factory sound deadener and installed this would it be quieter or would i have to put this over the factory stuff? my main goal is to quiet down the exhaust so i dont have to talk loud so my passengers can hear me plus i dont like the loud exhaust noise when my kids are inside. only the floor should need it right? thanks guys

I had the same problem with my ST185 after installing 2.5" mid pipe and HKS cat back exhaust. Two things made a big difference. First, HKS makes a silencer insert for their muffler that you install in the outlet and it makes a huge reduction in the droning. You don't state which muffler you are using. Check to see if a silencer insert is available for yours. I was talking to one of the guys at B&B Exhaust, makers of high end SS systems for BMWs and a lot of other cars. He told me the silencer works by increasing the velocity of the exhaust flow at low rpm and does not have a huge performance hit in terms of HP. They sell silencers for their BMW systems. Too bad they don't do All Trac systems.

Second thing I did was remove the plastic trim panels in the back and line the quarter panel cavities with something like Dynamat called Raamat. You can get it here:

http://www.raamaudio.com/

I then put a layer of 1/4" thick adhesive backed closed cell foam insulation. Closed cell foam will not retain moisture. I got it from Mcmaster Carr. Raamaudio sells something similar called Ensolite but I don't think they have a version that is self stick. This is also a good way to treat the door panels if you want further sound deadening. I will probably do the floor on my car when i have time to pull the interior and pull up the carpets.

The important thing to remember is that a solid barrier with a layer of foam will block way more noise than either one applied alone. If you sandwich the foam between two solid barriers, it gets even better. This is what auto manufacturers do in their luxury vehicles today.