Pressing bushings

underscore

I just got the front & rear suspension bushings pressed out & new ones pressed in, it ended up taking the shop somewhere around 6 hours & therefore got fairly expensive. I've still got the rear subframe bushings to do, as well as all the suspension bushings for my GTS, so I'm thinking of learning to do it myself.

Would something like this do the trick? http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product ... -Top-Press

Do I need anything else to press the bushings out/in? Any tips on how to go about this?

tw2

That should work but you would be surprised how hard it is if you haven't done it before. I have done it to the mr2 and they needed a huge press to get the old ones out.... or you can set fire to them. Are you using poly bushes or new oem? Polyurethane is usually very easy to install. The last ones I did was with a normal shop vice.

deecee

I use a 12T free standing unit. Its good because it allows you to fit in lots of odd shaped objects rather than the bench top which could restrict your abilities to do such things as a-arms.

For the subframe bushings, I have a trick to get them out, though my car has barely any rust and looking through other peoples projects over the years, the removal of the bushings can be problematic if there is heavy rust.

I used my press for taking majority of bushings out and putting them back in. Its handy for wheel bearings and studs and lots of other fun things as well :)

underscore

Thanks for the info guys, there's no real rust to deal with and the new ones are poly so I think I'll bite the bullet and go for it this winter.

deecee

get a larger one. More space to work with doing the a-arms. Anything else can pretty much be orientated into position, but A-arms are a challenge to get into a small space.

jonbonesjones

I've seen 20 ton free standing presses for around $300. I wouldnt get a 10 ton its going to restrict your abilities greatly.

underscore

Makes sense, it all comes down to how much garage space I have when I move.

Also keep in mind I'm in Canada, so chances are tools are 1.5-2x the price the USA gets.

klue

To do bushings and not be a total PITA.
Get yourself a small oxy, acetylene kit. You use this to burn out the old bushings (set em on fire remove softened chunks, then repeat)
Or heat the sleeve till it glows, you can usually push it out after its really hot and the rubber holding it in melts. Then its a breeze to pry out the rubber with a screw driver. Some bushings have a metal sleeve(like engine mounts) that you need to remove aswell. Nothing a chisel and hammer, or really carefully with a cutting wheel cant fix.

The press is most useful for getting new ones in, than taking old ones out in my experience. People have no idea how annoying bushings are to do. When they bring them by the shop and expect it to be a hour job and $40 bucks is laughable.

sMARTINside

Personnally, I have tried to take out the subframe bushings with a vise and some shims, without success. I was going to damage the subframe by putting too much force on it. So I found out that the easiest procedure is to drill the rubber in them with a 1/4 inch drill and then hammer and punch the outside metal sleeve out of the subframe. That worked out good for me. Klue's way feels quite good too. One thing for sure is that you have to take it easy and be patient.

fussellbug

I've replaced all of the suspension arm bushings (except rear outer spherical) and I used Klue's torch method with a lot of success. I cut away any outer lip of the old bushing on one side with a utility knife, heated with a propane torch until the rubber started smoking, then hammered on the side of the old bushing with the lip removed. It took a couple of repetitions on some of the bushings but when I evenly heated all the way around, it melted enough rubber to allow the bushing to move. Make sure you allow plenty of time for cooling before installing the new bushing.

My SuperPro poly bushings were more flexible than the old rubber ones. Some I was able the push in by hand and the others were easy to press in with a long bolt and a couple of large flat washers.

l00k0v3rth3r3

lots of grease... and for the love of god make sure everything is straight and lined up otherwise you'll shoot something across your garage!! :doh:

klue

l00k0v3rth3r3":2prjol05 said:
lots of grease... and for the love of god make sure everything is straight and lined up otherwise you'll shoot something across your garage!! :doh:
thats what she said :shoots: :shoots:

zero06

even with a press It's pretty difficult, I found the frame is awkward and my hydraulic press couldn't push them far enough to get them to tear out.

MY EXPERIENCE:

I drilled a bunch of small holes in the rubber and let the bushing soak in some race gas for about an hour, I lit them up with an oxy-acetalyne torch, and then blasted them with the oxygen. This releases a lot of JDM dampening smoke. (don't breathe this) I then pressed out the bushings and chistled out the metal sleeves/rubber residue. one of the sleeves was a PITA so I milled it out on my bridgeport machine.

also I made a hydraulic press much like that one you posted for much less than 260. just buy the hydraulic cylinder and weld up your own strong back frame with some channel iron If you have the abilities.

Rpz123isme

I hate bushings. We are the only shop in my town to tooled to press them. And we only charge 20 dollars to do them. My best friend for removing them is a big air hammer. It shakes up your ear wax but its much faster then burning, drilling, cutting, and safer then pressing out. To put them in i use sunnen press lube and a 6. Oz ballpeen.

tw2

When I had no money I would drill holes in the rubber, then cut around with a hack saw blade to remove the insides. Then carefully hacksaw the inside metal sleeve and pry it out, takes about 1-2 hours per bush. I would never consider doing it myself now, such a PITA. Never had a problem getting the new poly one in though. Those metal lined ones would definitely need a press.

Rpz123isme

The oem style bushings go in very easy with press lube and a clean hole. I have had people get mad after watching me replace their bushings. I even had someone refuse to pay.

celigts

Rpz123isme":3psrgk4c said:
The oem style bushings go in very easy with press lube and a clean hole. I have had people get mad after watching me replace their bushings. I even had someone refuse to pay.

WTH why would they refuse to pay or be that mad?

gt4tified

Rpz123isme":1a9m2siw said:

Did you threaten to set THEM on fire before they paid? :D