Extra Shipping Charges, Suprise! Usual or not?

Ironchief

So I'm ordering a Clutch Masters Fx300 clutch and ARP flywheel bolts from IPS Motorsports (IPSMotorsports.net). Originally the bill came to about $600 with $54.00 shipping to Saskatoon Saskatchewan. However, they just contacted me and said that since the clutch is being manufactured by Clutch Masters and then later shipped to me from their factory, it will be an extra $60 shipping. Is this normal or outrageous!!??

Now it's $114.00 to ship this clutch!

Anyone else in Canada have this problem? Does this seem like a lot to pay for shipping?

polm

That's how it is living in Canada....I hate to see stuff for sale with free shipping to the states and outrageous shipping charges for shipping to Canada. So to answer the question, I'm not surprised at all. Oh and watch out for the custom fees because they know how to break the deal too. Good luck!

underscore

I'd say that's bullshit, the costto get the product from the manufacturer to the reseller should be included in the cost, not extra. I'd cancel the order and get it from somewhere else, even if it cost more.

Also yes chances are you will be hit with brokerage and duty fees as well once it crosses the border, be sure it doesn't get shipped with UPS.

CMS-GT4

Yes stay away from UPS. Also note DHL has high broker fees. Fedex is more fair. The seller should not be charging you extra for their shipping from distributors. That's part of their overhead and should be built into their price. I say cancel.

Ironchief

Ya I'll see what they say tomorrow. What really pissed me off was that if I ordered directly from Clutch Masters, it's a flat $50 shipping to all of Canada!!!! Where the heck is IPS getting this extra $64 from? Just to ship the flywhell bolts, I don't think so.

I heard that if the part is manufactured in the U.S, which it is, then there is no duty on it. Not sure if that's true or not.

Meenya

You're right there shouldn't be any duty (~6%) but like others posted above, there will most likely be brokerage fees GST and provincial taxes depends on your province.

Ironchief":18mamx4t said:
Ya I'll see what they say tomorrow. What really pissed me off was that if I ordered directly from Clutch Masters, it's a flat $50 shipping to all of Canada!!!! Where the heck is IPS getting this extra $64 from? Just to ship the flywhell bolts, I don't think so.

I heard that if the part is manufactured in the U.S, which it is, then there is no duty on it. Not sure if that's true or not.

yeah, stay away from ups. ive more than once came home to find a package left in the weather on my front step. no signature required. jc whitney used to have parts for our cars, with very good shipping rates, but last time i tried through them, they changed their shipping to a stupid high rate.

CMS-GT4

I just sold my calipers, and the shipping charge was $22 more than I quoted. I had to eat it, cause that's how it usually works. BTW: Screw the whole shipping calculator, that crap always screws me over.

2of81

Ironchief":3e8ciivi said:
Originally the bill came to about $600 with $54.00 shipping to Saskatoon Saskatchewan. However, they just contacted me and said that since the clutch is being manufactured by Clutch Masters and then later shipped to me from their factory, it will be an extra $60 shipping.

Yea because they are going to ship you the flywheel at the $54 then later they will send you the clutch in a seperate shipment for $60. Makes sense to me, maybe if they wait on the clutch to be shipped to them they can ship it all together for your original quote of $60.

Ironchief

2of81":37o6uotw said:
Ironchief":37o6uotw said:
Originally the bill came to about $600 with $54.00 shipping to Saskatoon Saskatchewan. However, they just contacted me and said that since the clutch is being manufactured by Clutch Masters and then later shipped to me from their factory, it will be an extra $60 shipping.

Yea because they are going to ship you the flywheel at the $54 then later they will send you the clutch in a seperate shipment for $60. Makes sense to me, maybe if they wait on the clutch to be shipped to them they can ship it all together for your original quote of $60.

I'm not getting a flywheel.

2of81

Misread, flywheel bolts I meant. They are probably charging you twice on shipping the clutch. As small as flywheel bolts are I don't see it costing $54 to ship them to Canada

tw2

Wow those are the sorts of charges I pay for parts to New Zealand from the US. That really sucks. US, canada or anywhere else they should not be charging you for their distribution costs as everyone has said. You ordered it from them, not where ever the hell they got the parts from.