How do you keep organized with parts?

celigts

So when I so my bushings I don't know how ill manage to keep the proper organizing process to keep things where they should go.

Bushings are in Montreal and I wanna just start and take it apart now so I'm ready when they get here. I wanna use it to help with any other stuff.

Hotrodhendrix

I didnt get as detailed as some. A basic large baggy and permanent marker did it for me. Two large tots. 1 for large parts and 2nd for smaller parts in bags and bolt bags. Everything was named.

You could number as you remove and just work the other way during installation...

~James

WarTowels

I do a horrific job keeping organized, but I try and take a picture of the thing all put together, and then as James said I bag everything in zip locks and magic marker what everything is and where it belongs.

I'd say I only pull this off maybe 40% of the time. I have lots of boxes and bags labeled awesome stuff like, "Random metal bracket" and "Alternator bracket, probably".

Oh well,

-Towels

Terracar

I used a method like HotrodH..

Once I take something apart I typically can get it back together no problem, but for small parts they go in bags and/or the dispoosable ziploc containers and labelled with a sharpie. Large parts are typically self explanatory, but I have a stash of lock out tags (like a small luggage tag with wire twist tie) and attach them to any of the oddballs or location specific parts.

-Terracar

celigts

Ill grab some baggies for my bolts and shit. I used containers too. Like Wartowels I have random names. Like from when I tore my spare motor apart made the mistake of not re installing bolts and studs so now I have a container labeled spare 3s motor hardware. Regret it everyday and wish I hadn't done it that way.

celigts

Terracar":3p46rnaz said:
I used a method like HotrodH..

Once I take something apart I typically can get it back together no problem, but for small parts they go in bags and/or the dispoosable ziploc containers and labelled with a sharpie. Large parts are typically self explanatory, but I have a stash of lock out tags (like a small luggage tag with wire twist tie) and attach them to any of the oddballs or location specific parts.

-Terracar

That's a good method for larger parts. Damn I should have taken tags and wire ties from work before the lay off.... Oh well, i think ill do that and label parts that way.

How about this... What is the piece to be most careful storing? Maf I'd think from in the bay which is the most fragile stuff except ecu of course.

Terracar

celigts":2u40qro4 said:
How about this... What is the piece to be most careful storing? Maf I'd think from in the bay which is the most fragile stuff except ecu of course.

Honestly, most are pretty durable... my vote is the little valve on the power steering pump.

-terracar

WarTowels

Excuse my horrific hand writing. Latest attempts at organizing:

ULu2n.png

Crates stacked on crates stacked on crates at this point.

I've almost filled my closest from floor to ceiling, I will by the time I'm done.

-Towels

Like Towels I have my parts in bins except I have clear ones so I can see inside them.
I also used baggies and when I take things apart I usually try to put the bolts back in the part
after it has been removed. When I sent thing in to be HPC coated I took pictures and measured the length
of the bolts and the socket size and identifying marks on the head of the bolt and then where
it came from. Of course you have to keep the pictures and I have lost the ones I took of
taking my MR2 apart :(.

Meurz

+1 for zip lock bags with permanent marker, then bags in boxes with contents written on the box. Also, put as many nuts/bolts back in place after removing a part (if possible). Saves a lot of time as well, since you usually know where a part goes and all bolts are already there.

aus jd 2703

Meurz":1o6dc4jk said:
+1 for zip lock bags with permanent marker, then bags in boxes with contents written on the box. Also, put as many nuts/bolts back in place after removing a part (if possible). Saves a lot of time as well, since you usually know where a part goes and all bolts are already there.

+2 for baggies but i recommend cleaning everything first otherwise you end up not being able to read your label. and machined parts like valves lifter etc you should squirt some anti corrosion into the bag ie. lanolin

jklassen100

underscore":2gsi3yw7 said:
Everything is in small piles on my garage floor. It's a bit of a mess, but whatever.
+1 for this method! I typically like to make an explosion of parts and tools on the shop floor and then clean up when it get VERY difficult to find tools. :lol:

toayoztan

Get plenty of baggies, Tape (painters tape works well and doesn't leave adhesive residue behind), black marker, and a camera.

I take a picture of anything I work with, several angles. Make sure they are clear. Make sure the resolution is set decently high so you can zoom in if desired or needed.

I then throw bolts, nuts, and whatever parts in a baggy (either different or same bag, depending on if they go together as an "assembly" - obviously, you'll have to use your judgement). Label the bags in order as you take them off. Then, when you put stuff back together, you just go reverse bag order.

Refer to your pictures if you're confused on how it goes back together.

I did all of this when I completely tore down my alltrac, and never has failed me yet.

For smaller jobs, I just take a picture or two, and throw everything in a box - it's hard to mess it up when you're doing smaller jobs.

Bryan

toayoztan

Meurz":20g9l335 said:

+1 on putting nuts, bolts, etc. either back on the part or chassis. It makes it really easy to know where they go, and you aren't left with a missing nut/bolt or an extra one. If you are missing a bolt/nut as you take it off then be sure to make note of it.

I was confused one time for an hour trying to find a missing nut. Looked at the pictures, and turns out it was already missing :doh:

Bryan