Any Interest in a Stainless Hardware Bolt Set?

ZeroDrift

Hello fellow 'Trac owners!

In the past I have offered group buys for stainless steel hardware on some of the other forums I'm a vendor on and thought I'd check in here for interest.

Kits will either be a socket cap set which will be the more affordable option, or a super premium hex bolt set from Pro-Bolt. For the socket cap bolts I will be offering the ability to purchase premium hand drivers that really make working with socket cap bolts a breeze! Pricing is to be very affordable for the set and will be in the $45-55 range for a minimum of 160 pieces. More hardware will be included so the final quantity and price isn't set.

As far as the premium Pro-Bolt sets, it will contain the same pieces as the socket cap set, but will be of a much higher quality and a 316 alloy. Pricing for this set has not been determined as of today, but expect these to be above $120. These bolts are all polished and the finish is impeccable.

I have no timeline for this but am thinking of having it end early next year to allow everyone to recuperate from the holidays.

lsshx1020f.jpg

Ti01_2_3_4_5_fused.jpg

Here you can see a variety of the stainless socket cap bolts on my old Subaru:
2011-04-01_18-45-52_544.jpg

If you are interested in either of the sets, or know someone that may be; please check out our Facebook page to help spread the word! http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZeroDrift-Sports/338927409533922

underscore

Which bolts would these sets replace? I'd be in for a basic st (the socket caps or what have you, I really have no clue what that is).

celigts

underscore":1n8mi8zo said:
Which bolts would these sets replace? I'd be in for a basic st (the socket caps or what have you, I really have no clue what that is).

Agreed, also wondering what the sets will replace. They for the motor or dress up for fenders?

ZeroDrift

I will look into exactly what it will replace, but expect it to work on the fenders, brackets and hood at the very least. Most 10mm or 12mm bolts that are visible should be replaceable.

Here is a quick picture of a socket cap screw (bolt):
images

klue

The ones with the holes for lock wire are cool,

I guess it all comes down to what bolts your kit is going to be replacing

Fox 21 Alpha

What exactly is a socket cap set? And in regards to what to replace, do you get to pick that, ie. do you want suggestions? I know a few of us on here who have done major engine and body overhaul can probably name some problems bolts that seem to snap off no matter what you do, and could really benefit for being stainless steel. Of course I'm lookin at this from a practical stand point, not sure if thats what this is for, or to look better, or both

ZeroDrift

I've had enough interest in the race spec bolts that I'll likely go that route. These ones have the extra holes to allow for security wire.

dragstang86

Fox 21 Alpha":2s76xx3p said:
I know a few of us on here who have done major engine and body overhaul can probably name some problems bolts that seem to snap off no matter what you do, and could really benefit for being stainless steel. Of course I'm lookin at this from a practical stand point, not sure if thats what this is for, or to look better, or both

Opposed to the common belief, most stainless bolts aren't very strong. There are exceptions such as the ARP stuff is a grade 8 stainless but your average stainless bolt is equivalent to probably a grade 2, maybe 3 bolt. I can't speak to what quality/grade the stainless bolts are in this thread but that is something I'd be curious to find out. The other thing to keep in mind when using stainless bolts into aluminum is that stainless often gouges aluminum.

ZeroDrift

dragstang86":f1wjibv4 said:
Fox 21 Alpha":f1wjibv4 said:
I know a few of us on here who have done major engine and body overhaul can probably name some problems bolts that seem to snap off no matter what you do, and could really benefit for being stainless steel. Of course I'm lookin at this from a practical stand point, not sure if thats what this is for, or to look better, or both

Opposed to the common belief, most stainless bolts aren't very strong. There are exceptions such as the ARP stuff is a grade 8 stainless but your average stainless bolt is equivalent to probably a grade 2, maybe 3 bolt. I can't speak to what quality/grade the stainless bolts are in this thread but that is something I'd be curious to find out. The other thing to keep in mind when using stainless bolts into aluminum is that stainless often gouges aluminum.

You are absolutely correct. The basic bolts are a 304 stainless steel and only to be used for holding things like accessories, body panels and brackets (items frequently removed for maintenance). These should not be used for suspension and internal engine components.

As such every bolt in the kit will only be M6 and M8 bolts as no major suspension components (or any mission critical part) will be substituted for something that can cause damage. The premium bolts: 316 grade stainless are are stronger. But in all reality most every component that makes use of bolts sized in the M6 and M8 range use sheer strength as opposed to clamping force, and stainless is more than sufficient for such purposes.

Using stainless for suspension is very different and the grade of alloy involved is much more expensive (think $40+ per bolt) and any specialty bolt with this alloy is virtually non existent.

underscore

I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm mainly looking at these for engine dress up, unless I'm missing something?

ZeroDrift

underscore":10ynqybd said:
I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm mainly looking at these for engine dress up, unless I'm missing something?

The primary feature is corrosion resistant hardware that keeps it's finish and is stylish. The race spec bolts that can fit security wire can add an extra level of security if so desired.

thespen

I'd be in for a set or two; the sooner the better as I already have everything out of mine and I'd like to get it together soonish.