Engine Options.. V6's, 2AZFE, etc etc

ZeroDrift

I'm having difficulties finding a suitable block for my car and am starting to consider a different engine altogether. Preferably something newer with engine management that can deal with temps below freezing. I know there has been talk of a 2AZFE engine as well as some V6 engines from the Camry/Avalon, but has there been any documented proof these engines can be fit with the transfer case?

That said, what newer engines will bolt up to the transmission/mounts?

klue

ZeroDrift":24ewxct6 said:
I'm having difficulties finding a suitable block for my car and am starting to consider a different engine altogether. Preferably something newer with engine management that can deal with temps below freezing. I know there has been talk of a 2AZFE engine as well as some V6 engines from the Camry/Avalon, but has there been any documented proof these engines can be fit with the transfer case?

Whats wrong with your block?

Ive fitted some v6 engines to the awd trans but its hella grinding to do :(

ZeroDrift

klue":256nfrcs said:
ZeroDrift":256nfrcs said:

Whats wrong with your block?

Ive fitted some v6 engines to the awd trans but its hella grinding to do :(

My block has scoring on the walls and it already at max bore. From what I am reading with all the cracking issues I am shying away from dry sleeves.

underscore

The 1 and 3MZ-FE can bolt to the E153 with a modified passenger side engine mount (that's what Smaay on Celicatech is running), but I;m not sure how they would clear an AWD tcase. Maybe contact Smaay and ask him for pics of the clearance between the block and tranny, and you can see if the tcase would fit?

GT4times2

I don't see a shortage of 3SGTE motors online. Save yourself money, time and headaches trying to reinvent things. Get yourself a nice 3rd Gen package for well under $2k online and get a swap going. If your block is no good, send it to the recyclers (you'll get some money in the process), and get a lower mileage motor/tranny/ECU set up and call it a day. Why complicate life? :shrug: :bangshead:

Or get a 5SFE block and build a stroker motor if you can.

Or get a Scion TC. I personally like the 2.4 liter motor (My sister owns one, and from time to time, I drive it and consider buying one if I can get it at the right price). Very torquey engine, and can make some serious power on boost. But trying to put it in an Alltrac (not being sure it'll fit), then turbocharging it will cost you more than the 3rd GEN swap.

Life is short, time is money. Don't waste them. :wink:

klue

GT4times2":44d0wj86 said:
I don't see a shortage of 3SGTE motors online. Save yourself money, time and headaches trying to reinvent things. Get yourself a nice 3rd Gen package for well under $2k online and get a swap going. If your block is no good, send it to the recyclers (you'll get some money in the process), and get a lower mileage motor/tranny/ECU set up and call it a day. Why complicate life? :shrug: :bangshead:

Or get a 5SFE block and build a stroker motor if you can.

Or get a Scion TC. I personally like the 2.4 liter motor (My sister owns one, and from time to time, I drive it and consider buying one if I can get it at the right price). Very torquey engine, and can make some serious power on boost. But trying to put it in an Alltrac (not being sure it'll fit), then turbocharging it will cost you more than the 3rd GEN swap.

Life is short, time is money. Don't waste them. :wink:

Id fully agree especially with the last statement.

Ive spent to much time building other peoples cars and not my own. Anyway just for reference, as i said you can fit the AWD trans, 1m3m5vz, I never got to try a 2gr. It takes ALOT of grinding of the webbing. and a passenger mount(lhd)

UtahSleeper

Just find a 3sge block or 1st/end gen motor. You seem them on ebay alot and it is possible to find a GT-S in a junkyard.

ZeroDrift

I may have found a block recently. As for a ST205 swap it was certainly on the table, but I honestly prefer building an engine that I know will work as opposed to the risk of a swap. I'm swapping in a newer tranny as I'm overhauling the engine so overall progress is being made.

phattyduck

The 3rd gen 3s-gte is great in all weather I have been in... though that's only down to about 20*F. No cold start hiccups or anything.

Good luck with whatever you do!

-Charlie