Sickest find! teq oil cap

toayoztan

celigts":1oph0vgi said:
I'm buying one next pay. Didn't know if anyone has found this so throwing it out there.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... =EBAY-ENCA

Those have been out for awhile.

CMS-GT4, I believe, commented on the sticker and was contemplating on using it for his hood emblem. He asked the seller where the "decal" came from but the seller refused to answer it.

They are neat though!

I never knew people referred to them as Teq (the "symbol"). Doing a quick google search, it seemed quite a few didn't know what it really was (I'm not saying you are one of them!).

I always thought (and it is) it was simply the Japanese language (in katakana) for Toyota. I took a bit of Japanese in undergrad.

T (To) e (yo) q (ta)
768px-Table_katakana.svg.png

If Teq means more than just the japanese symbol of toyota with some kind of history behind it, then I have some reading up to do!

Bryan

Mafix

uh, i've had real teq oil caps and gas caps for years. they come on older models. free in most junk yards.

celigts

toayoztan":2dbf0pwi said:
celigts":2dbf0pwi said:
I'm buying one next pay. Didn't know if anyone has found this so throwing it out there.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... =EBAY-ENCA

Those have been out for awhile.

CMS-GT4, I believe, commented on the sticker and was contemplating on using it for his hood emblem. He asked the seller where the "decal" came from but the seller refused to answer it.

They are neat though!

I never knew people referred to them as Teq (the "symbol"). Doing a quick google search, it seemed quite a few didn't know what it really was (I'm not saying you are one of them!).

I always thought (and it is) it was simply the Japanese language (in katakana) for Toyota. I took a bit of Japanese in undergrad.

T (To) e (yo) q (ta)
768px-Table_katakana.svg.png

If Teq means more than just the japanese symbol of toyota with some kind of history behind it, then I have some reading up to do!

Bryan

Sir I did not know! And I haven't really looked into the old symbol. To me this was a wicked find haha.

WarTowels

I have an oil cap similar to this, only it has a different decal.

Ultimately it's pretty low quality in my opinion. The design looks good at first glance. But it has really started to bother me, lol.

The fake bolts drive me insane, I don't understand their purpose and to that extent I have to wonder where this design trend came from? Are there actually two piece oil caps out there? Clearly this is a solid piece of metal here. Those hex bolts just collect dust, oil and make it harder to clean.

-Towels

celigts

Towels I F@$&!n agree with you on the useless bolt thing. My rims have them as well and I wanna snap them off and fill the holes! No point and money wasted on a stupid fake addition.

Ill buy one if its not a vinyl that's gonna peel off after a few months

WarTowels

It looks to be identical to mine in terms of production, in which case it's a semi metallic decal that's glued on. Mine has a few scratches here and there, but it has stayed on with no signs of peel.

-Towels

darthripley

WarTowels":1zswz10f said:
The fake bolts drive me insane, I don't understand their purpose and to that extent I have to wonder where this design trend came from? Are there actually two piece oil caps out there? Clearly this is a solid piece of metal here. Those hex bolts just collect dust, oil and make it harder to clean.

It's a knock off of an ARC oil cap design that utilized a little tool to get it "unlocked" - why? because JDM :shrug:

A small excerpt of history regarding TEQ from Wikipedia:
Vehicles were originally sold under the name "Toyoda" (トヨダ), from the family name of the company's founder, Kiichirō Toyoda. In April 1936, Toyoda's first passenger car, the Model AA, was completed. The sales price was 3,350 yen, 400 yen cheaper than Ford or GM cars.

In September 1936, the company ran a public competition to design a new logo. Of 27,000 entries, the winning entry was the three Japanese katakana letters for "Toyoda" in a circle. But Risaburō Toyoda, who had married into the family and was not born with that name, preferred "Toyota" (トヨタ) because it took eight brush strokes (a lucky number) to write in Japanese, was visually simpler (leaving off the diacritic at the end) and with a voiceless consonant instead of a voiced one (voiced consonants are considered to have a "murky" or "muddy" sound compared to voiceless consonants, which are "clear").

Since "Toyoda" literally means "fertile rice paddies", changing the name also prevented the company from being associated with old-fashioned farming. The newly formed word was trademarked and the company was registered in August 1937 as the "Toyota Motor Company"